12 thoughts on “5 Ways Childhood Emotional Neglect Sets You Up For Boundary Issues

• September 1, 2019 at 11:55 am

As a child raised with emotional neglect and verbal abuse this article is a reflection of my being. It has followed me as a burden that I wrongly thought was my fault. Boundaries are necessary and this article offers insight. Childhood traumas follow us throughout adulthood. Learning skills to deal with them leads to a happier, functional life.

• September 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Very true that our childhoods follow us. Recognizing the effects is key to healing and growing.

• September 2, 2019 at 6:45 am

I have trouble saying no to people alot. Always worried of being difficult or selfish or lazy.

• September 2, 2019 at 8:00 am

You are not alone. Many folks who were raised with Emotional Neglect have these same struggles. I hope you will take on your CEN. It will make a difference!

• September 2, 2019 at 9:55 am

Parents can do everything they possibly can to help secure their well-being child. Teachers also play a BIG part of their emotional safety. They could make or break a student and allow others to do the same. I know I’m an educator. I’ve seen teachers “bully” individual students. Some of these students rarely tell their parents. Is that because the parents do not ask? They are the ones neglecting them?
    Yes, I did say something to the teacher and the student.

• September 2, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Bullies have a special radar for kids who lack supportive protective parents. They are able to single out vulnerable kids. Good for you for being aware of this and watching and helping!

• September 3, 2019 at 5:27 pm

I did not relate to my boundary-less issues until very recently. It looks like I did not have any. I would change my self to accommodate/capitulate/acquiesce to others, thereby losing my self in the process.
    I am just now realizing what I have been doing to my self. Realization is a first step to correcting my boundary issue. Small steps, in conjunction with how I feel with each step, will help me to set those all-important boundaries for my self.

• September 4, 2019 at 8:45 am

Yes, so true. Realization is the first step. Now there’s some work to do, and it will make a big difference in your life!

• September 4, 2019 at 7:55 am

This was a lighting bolt to my core. My parents have already passed from this world. Knowing of their lives and their families I can’t see that they were brought up the way they brought me up. I have had some therapy with the emotional and physical maltreatment I received in childhood and then repeated in adult life. At least now I am not a Target for mean people. ( Usually) I’m adopted so I often wonder why would you have a child that you treated as a servant, that you always “kept in their place” . But I remember all the alcolades they received ( I was adopted at age five) so that and a slave was why. I’m now on the slow path of self recovery. I’m starting to read your material often I can only get so far in a given day as it is so painful to process. Journaling has greatly helped.

• September 4, 2019 at 8:47 am

Dear Jill, I’m sorry you had this kind of childhood. You deserve better, for sure. Please take it slowly, one step at a time. It’s like walking down a path and it takes time and persistence, but it will pay off. Keep going. All the best.

• September 8, 2019 at 3:45 am

Wow….I can hardly believe that you have just described me to a tee! My upbringing has resulted in my having both the boundaries you have described… weak external and strong internal. I am soooo interested to learn more, and to move towards a different future!

• September 8, 2019 at 12:44 pm

That’s great Robyn! You can do it.