12 thoughts on “The Difference Between Self-Esteem, Self-Worth, Self-Confidence and Self-Knowledge

• May 19, 2019 at 11:57 am

As an aging senior and looking back to the cruel 50s & 60s finally having a friend’s father in education get me into a school because I was borderline flunking and in shock and no roads open I got the last seat at the college for the fall entrance.By way of this introduction I never had time for self-esteem,worth,confidence & knowledge I had to defend both my mother and my self sleeping with one eye open.
    However arriving at college I had the first good night’s sleep. And as I sat in C- Dining Hall where most were there for the same category of education I realized the quiet, the friendship but had a rude awakening I am now on my own when for the first time in my life I asked a girl out and got the “ Country Bumpkin” status and went on probation due to a misunderstanding and a jealous rat sitting beside me.
    Somehow the counsellor actually only a few years older gave me a chance and I moved off the floor to a big dorm room right in the East corner of the university section. The bets were on I would be out at Christmas . A friend next door sensed my deep hole and watched over me. Later killed in a road accident. But as I got into the rhythm of the institution I started to both feel and embrace the words – worth,esteem,confidence and knowledge for the self. Oh I returned after Christmas as 68% of that corner funked out or went OAC. I guess many lost their bets .There are times when one is cornered in all directions but there are 360 degrees in the compass and my Center was getting stronger and I chose one under the guidance of my new friend and the probation proctor realized we both worked in the summer before for the same organization so he went easy and rest is history but if one is rattled always cranked and unsettled in disorder’s entity 24/7 365 there is only time for survival and looking back the self seeing ,sensing, feeling to realize there were beautiful caring emphatic people around me. The chap next door finding out semester ending that I was broke; drove two hours out of his route to my home to deliver me to my doorstep and be on my Uncle’s Farm the next day cleaning and clearing the orchard floor . No it is not easy and much trauma happened after but getting a sense of the self- the knowledge, the worth , the confidence broke down many barriers but the esteem will always be a w.i.p.or work in progress . I do not fight it anymore and metaphorically swim through it and consider myself one lucky person to always move forward but being strategically and visually aware there is always someone that enjoys destroying the whole and narcissistic rats are just out about to bite the first person they can and takeover and destroy others lives and living.

• May 19, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Dear Gwor, it sounds like you have fought for your self-worth and self-confidence. Thank you for sharing your story.

• May 20, 2019 at 12:13 am

The writer proposes a theory of psychology that has been largely discredited by the vast amount of research on cognitive behavioral therapy. Disappointing article.

• May 20, 2019 at 9:02 am

Hi John, that is patently incorrect. Current research in the areas of the neuropsychology of emotion, as well as attachment and mindfulness, support and corroborate the content of this article.

• May 20, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Is there a need to separate 1 giant struggle into 4 big struggles? Doesn’t each of 4 struggles cause another 3? Won’t getting rid of 1 struggle will eliminate another 3?

• May 20, 2019 at 5:03 pm

Dear Steven, good question. Actually, our view of ourselves is very layered and complex. It is not an all-or-nothing or black/white kind of thing. Therefore, it really helps to think in a more complex way about how you see and feel about yourself, and that is what I wanted to help people do with this article.

• May 22, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Jonice’s blogs demonstrate that there are many ways to present the same fundamental subject.

I found this article more useful than most: the finer analysis helps develop more precise insight and is perhaps more actionable as a result.

This technique of learning through “observing others” works well for me.

• May 22, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Hi Gregory, I wouldn’t call it different ways to present the same subject. It’s more like different results, causes, and treatments. CEN is the root of so many life problems and symptoms that there is a lot to say. I’m glad you enjoyed this post.

• May 23, 2019 at 6:51 am

I think my thing is ” low self worth” rather than the others? Firstly I do not have a job any more. So my only income is my state pension. All my family are mow deceased and I do not have any friends or workmates so I am in effect what people may term “a workshy layabout” sponging on the taxpayer and basically because I am over 80 I know I am unlikely to ever get a job again as once my d.o.b. on application form is found employer is highly likely to bung it into bin, despite fact I have been in work all my life and performed ok. But also today getting an appointment to see a Doctor is nowadays so difficult, my feeling is surely others are more deserving and more worthy of getting an appointment than me as they have potentially a lot more years to continue living and may have more important issues about their physical or mental health than me that need attention. So not planning to do anything except continue being an idle workshy layabout of low self worth. Are there not many others out there just like me?

• May 23, 2019 at 9:21 am

Dear David, I agree that you are suffering from low self-worth. I hope you will definitely make an appointment to be evaluated for depression, as I seem to hear the gray cloud of depression in your words. Please be evaluated for depression. All my best to you!

• May 23, 2019 at 10:15 am

I whole hearted believe in Dr Webb’s article because of how it resonates with me.. I struggle with emotional regulation every day, and debilitating fear that I matter to nobody… Thank you for your free lessons..

• May 23, 2019 at 10:18 am

Dear RaeLana, please do keep working on seeing and accepting your true worth. I’m glad you find this article helpful. All my best to you.