7 thoughts on “When Childhood Emotional Neglect is Combined With Abuse: 3 Effects on Your Adult Life

• December 16, 2018 at 10:55 am

Once again your words hit me directly between the eyes. Thanks so much for your work on the subject. This week I observed several falling stars, my “go to” wish for my wife to work on our marriage was replaced with finding a therapist with your mind set and knowledge. Have a great day.

• December 16, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Dear Richard, good work! I’m so glad your wish has turned into action that will make your life better. Look on the Find A Therapist List on my website and you will hopefully find a CEN therapist near you.

• December 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm

As an adult who is working through CEN, how do you reconcile yourself with the fact that you probably were emotionally neglectful with your own kids? It’s painful to own because it was never your intention to be so and at some level you knew your parents hadn’t parented you in the best way so you tried to be a different parent yet fell short of the mark. do you talk about this with your kids?

Your work has cleared up so many questions for me. Thank you for your sharing it.

• December 16, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Dear Gladys, I think the important thing is to accept that CEN gets passed down automatically. Yes, you can talk with your kids about CEN and it can make a big difference, depending on their ages and personalities. See the book Running On Empty No More: Transform Your Relationships for a lot more information about how to make that decision and how to do it. Remember that the fact that you want to give your kids what you never got yourself is a sign of strength and love.

• December 16, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Thank you for your encouragement.

• December 17, 2018 at 12:07 am

Hi, Jonice Webb. I’m from Singapore n couldn’t find any therapist specialised in cen. So can I just go to a normal therapist instead?

• December 17, 2018 at 9:05 am

Good question Aish. I recommend finding a good therapist and asking if they are willing to learn about CEN. Any therapist can learn about CEN and help you if they are motivated to do so. Ask the therapist to work through the book with you. You could also enroll in the Fuel Up For Life program and have your therapist work through the modules with you. That way you can target your CEN directly. Hope this helps!