10 thoughts on “3 Factors That Will Keep You Stuck If You Let Them

• September 26, 2018 at 7:46 am

Great motivation! Thank you!

• September 26, 2018 at 8:01 am

I have taken avoidance to a new level, having spent the last 2 years unable to force myself to deal with the outside world. I live within the constant distraction of my iPad, and not paying bills, taking action to solve day to day or long term problems has caused a build up of negative consequences..but still I cannot face any responsibility for managing my life. I can feel a tangible mental and physical block if I turn my attention to reality, and have been looking for a reason/diagnosis of why so that I can overcome it. The mental health disorders focus on only social avoidance, not total life avoidance! I would love to get things in order, get my car MOT’d taxed & insured, get my TV working again after a year broken, get my bills paid and my house sorted out, get a hair cut! I can relate how my childhood (and adult traumas) have badly affected me, and need to find a way to overcome this to be able to have any quality of life.

• September 26, 2018 at 11:31 am

Dear Joanna, it sounds like you will need to re-parent yourself. It’s not easy but it is possible! Try my 3 Things Exercise from Running On Empty. It will help you retrain your brain. All my best wishes.

• September 27, 2018 at 11:02 am

Joanna I could have written actually what you have but with a few added things such as not just my tv broke months ago but my boiler isn’t working and hasn’t been for 3 years now so I have no hot water. I have a leak in my toilet pipe so have been turning the water on just once a day. This has been going on for over a year. I just sit on my computer on online sites or YouTube and ignore it. Talk about Avoidance. My flat is a filthy hole and I’m avoiding sorting that out too.
      You are not alone.

• September 27, 2018 at 11:10 am

Dear Beverly, I can hear your anger at yourself coming through in your short comment. That anger is getting in your way of changing and learning the skills you missed in childhood. Accept that you missed learning some important skills and that it wasn’t your fault. That will free you up to start taking the steps to become self-disciplined. All my best wishes.

• September 26, 2018 at 11:53 am

WOW
    Golly, You Nailed it
    At a young 66 old and once very active, popular, & graced with fairly nice looks..
    I have so retreated inward . Not wanting to see anyone. Staying home as much as possible, with no family left .In shock maybe..loosing them; mom, brother & sister…all in 18 months. Then, add on my husband, my best gal friend and my beloved cat within the same time period ! Good lord, I am lost & feel like a old mare & ready to be shot. (Just a figure of speech) . My hair has thinned, my confidence disappears & no one knows what to say to me. I find it hard to get out my Kitchen door. This article is encouraging & It spoke to me. I shall try “really hard” the suggestions as I take baby steps at 66.
    “Action proceeds motivation”.

• September 26, 2018 at 12:22 pm

Dear Jeannine that level of loss would knock anyone for a loop. You clearly have a good deal left to live and give. I hope you will indeed fight hard for yourself!

• September 28, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Oh, my gosh. This article is extremely helpful.
    Can’t thank you enough!!!
    Krissy

• October 11, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Somedays I ignore what I read, maybe not today. I no longer list what is wrong but do mention a copule things. Only because the challenges will go away, except for these: Lost Mom and DAd so I was a 40 year old orphan. Never had cousins that cared about anything I do. Shy but friendly, being pretty would help or just being somewhere with real ppl not fakes.Many days are like middle shcool over and over. I’m 53, I don’t want to hear gossip or who is divorcing!!