11 thoughts on “The Most Personal Question You Can Ask Someone

• July 29, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I have read with great interest Jonice Webb’s discussions about CEN in the articles sent in email to my phone for a great while. Also I have gone to 12 step meetings for 32 years. I have a psychiatrist and a therapist and go to “group”. Recovery or should I say organized connection with people based on known healthy practices gives life it’s needed structure.

I feel a strong need to go further to go to a greater level of action all the time. Yer I am so overwhelmed with “gotta-do”s” already. I would like to read all MS Webb’s books and get, somehow, on a more directed path of recovery but I just can’t do everything.

• July 29, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Dear Connie, I am a great believer that we heal when we’re ready. Just do what you can and be proud that you are growing.

• July 30, 2018 at 5:01 am

Not off topic. How about why are all the actors in the photo array white?
    Aside from that, I really like the website. Very helpful.

• July 30, 2018 at 7:43 am

Dear Jen, I love your question! I always look for the best image I can find to fit the particular blog. And I do make sure to use images showing a variety of different races as often as I can. I think it is very important indeed. Thanks so much for your thoughtful question.

• July 30, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Hi my name is donna

• August 1, 2018 at 8:11 am

I think it is important when asking “the most personal question” that one must remember what Carl Rogers said, “Being empathic means: “To be with another in this way means that for the time being you lay aside the views and values you hold for yourself in order to enter another’s world without prejudice.

In some sense it means that you lay aside your self and this can only be done by a person who is secure enough in himself that he knows he will not get lost in what may turn out to be the strange or bizarre world of the other, and can comfortably return to his own world when he wishes. ”

In other words the tone, posture, and manner in which one asks “the most personal question” is as important as the words.

• August 1, 2018 at 8:41 am

Very true! Thank you for pointing that out.

• August 3, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I know for a fact that I have this to deal with, and to be honest, my gut reaction was that “What are you feeling?” isn’t the most personal question you can ask someone, but instead it’s the most dangerous question you can forced to answer. I guess that shows what’s up with me right there, doesn’t it? Answering that question honestly would make me feel like I was a grey seal being shoved into a tank full of sharks.

• August 3, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Yes Janis, please do deal with your fear. I’m certain that it is blocking you from the most rich and rewarding parts of life.

• August 26, 2018 at 2:33 pm

I just started to read and learn about CEN a few days ago.My girlfriend opened my eyes that I have CEN 8as she has too) and our relationship is suffering from it in a bad way. It really took me a while. She pointed it out already months ago, but I didnt see it. But since a few days me eyes are wide open and I hope not to late as she is my true love.
    I bought myself a little notebook to write down my feelings, do a short meditation every day, and read a lot over and over again,, making a scheme of it, studying it.
    I saw the question in the header and I straight said the correct answer. Which made me very proud and wrote that down in my feelingsbook. I just dont hope its too late for our relation.

• October 24, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Your article was really interesting, although I fear far too advanced for me. I generally have no clue what i’m feeling or why. Any advice on some baby steps would be much appreciated..?