8 thoughts on “3 Powerful Exercises To Extinguish Emotional Neglect From Your Marriage

• July 15, 2018 at 11:49 am

Your work among CEN people is need of the hour. May God heal emotions of people through your ministry. Kindly train others to involve in this great task.

• July 15, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Dear John, thank you for your lovely message. I am training other therapists as often as possible. Take care!

• July 15, 2018 at 1:42 pm

I just got an aha moment when I read this article!! My sensitive nature and emotions were either disregarded or put down when I was growing up. If I cried too much, which was generally what I did, I was called a cry baby or smugly told to get down on the floor and kick and scream. I don’t repeat that overt mistreatment, but when my husband is looking low or upset or sad or whatever, I ignore it. I realize now that I am just repeating that same invalidation and emotional neglect I received!! Thank you for this enlightening article. I plan on being more mindful and observant of his needs.

• July 15, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Your comment made my day Cheryl! This is the reason I am trying to call attention to Childhood Emotional Neglect. I applaud you for your insight and efforts to change.

• July 16, 2018 at 11:07 am

Thanks for sharing this. I’m going to check out your book.

• July 16, 2018 at 11:42 am

Thank you for reading it and I hope you enjoy the book!

• July 18, 2018 at 11:21 am

I just started part 2 of Running On Empty audiobook. Im almost 60 and finally feel like I found someone who gets me. I fit many of the patient examples. Not only was my dad a functional alcoholic, he started going blind in his 30’s then developed lung cancer and died when I was a teenager. While we all lived it, the illnesses were never discussed, especially the nightly drinking. Dad was confined to his room in a hospital bed and we all went on with our lives. I feel guilt over that. Your book is helping me understand what was going on. After years of various counselors, I’m starting to feel a change within myself.

• July 18, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Dear Alan, I’m so glad you are seeing how Emotional Neglect was at work in your family, and how it’s affected you. Keep up the good work!