11 thoughts on “The Summer You Took On Your Childhood Emotional Neglect

• July 2, 2017 at 2:23 pm

You make these suggestions sound easy, but I know myself, none of these things will be easy for me… just thinking about it makes me anxious and watery eyed. :/

• July 2, 2017 at 3:49 pm

It doesn’t need to be easy. All that matters is that you try. The benefit comes from the trying, not just from success. All my best wishes.

• July 2, 2017 at 2:27 pm

One of the hardest things in my entire life has been taking on this form of neglect from my childhood. I always knew my childhood was harsh due to various things. As an adult who has healed from many of those scars inactively due to marination outside of my harsh origin simply over time… Emotional Neglect is something that I feel has to be actively tackled.

It has me reaching outside of almost everything I know, because the damage is so much of a foundation for where I currently stand in life. It’s hard to change if that foundation is also linked to where you have found other forms of success and survivability from.

• July 2, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Tim, I assure you that emotional neglect can be healed. If you have healed your trauma scars, you can heal your emotional neglect. I hope you will keep working and growing.

• July 3, 2017 at 11:46 am

Thanks Jonice,

I’d just like to point out that the scars that I have healed from were shallow, but a necessary step before I could tackle this.. You see I no longer feel any resentment for any one moment of physical/mental abuse or neglect. This has allowed me to focus on the bigger picture of healing and emotionally developing.

• July 3, 2017 at 8:34 am

Thanks Dr. Webb. Compassionate Accountability is hard work. And it’s a concept that we’ve developed quite a bit over the past five year. I’ve also written a book about it, called Conflict Without Casualties.

• July 7, 2017 at 11:02 am

Hi Nate, I created this concept for my book, Running on Empty, as a way for folks with CEN to stop being so hard on themselves, and instead turn their mistakes and choices into opportunities to learn. It seems you’re using it in a different way, as a method to resolve and manage conflicts. It is a wonderful way to bring two seeming opposites together to maximize both. Best wishes with your book!

• July 11, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Dr. Webb,
    I have been on depression & anxiety meds for approx. 21 yrs, been thru individual counseling off and on for about 15 years, and just this past week – been able to put my finger on what is going on with me – long story short, I ordered your book ‘Running on Empty’ this morning and should receive it in two days.
    I am not able to articulate my question at this moment, but I would like to ask you one shortly, if I may. Thank you in advance for your time.
    Respectfully, Sherri

• August 2, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Dear Dr. Webb –

I’m a 40 yr old woman, who has been in therapy off/on since I was 18. Never has anyone coined the phrase “Childhood Emotional Neglect” to me. I’ve been devouring all I can find online about it, plan to order your book as well. I’ve struggled with substance abuse for many years as well, and have never been able to pinpoint how it began…why the need to be numb from feelings? I finally feel like I have an answer. It feels freeing! The big looming question of ‘now what’ remains though. I believe through continued therapy and naming it … there’s a silver lining. Thanks again.

• August 21, 2017 at 5:03 am

Dear Dr Webb,
    I always read your articles and do recognise many things that used to bother me in the past. I thought maybe (for the other readers) it is nice to know that yes! you can indeed recover from CEN. I developed a PTSD caused by CEN that occurred from a really early age. Oke, it took me many years but I have grown a lot!
    Thanks to bring the awareness as it took me >20 years to find out why I was so afraid and why I was crying so much (etc etc).