9 thoughts on “The Four Greatest Psychological Discoveries of 2016

• January 1, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I am a Peer Support Specialist, so i can relate to your article. The article , as usual, is very informitive and helpful. I also would like you to know that I love all your articles and look forward to recieving your emails. Thank you so much for your wisdom and the time spent helping others, like me.

• January 1, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Thank you Laurie for reading my work! And Happy New Year.

• January 2, 2017 at 4:00 am

Yep excellent as always, giving me inspiration to be positive and help me to continue to realise my emotions.

In your article’s section “Health;” the emotional repressive tend to develop back problems (vs quick to anger type likely to develop blood pressure). I’d add that besides ‘back problems’ the emotional repressive also has an inclinations towards cancer; not scholarly research, but empirical given the emotional ‘repressives’ who brought me up and later developed cancer. Also I noticed back problems/cancer problem in similar characters throughout my life.

The repressives were also vehement non-smokers. ‘Vehement’ in a smouldering glaring internalising kinda way. Vehemence, anger should definitely not be stored internally as Jonice’s explained previously.

Thank you for your work, truly appreciated! Have a great new year!

• January 3, 2017 at 12:55 am

First of all, Dr. Webb is wonderful, isn’t she? Her work has allowed me to avoid therapy, which is difficult to obtain where I live due to scarce providers and even more scarce under my insurance plan. Thank you, Dr. Webb!

Secondly, this summer I read a lot of therapy books in addition to Dr. Webb’s “Running On Empty,” including one entitled “When The Body Says No” by Gabor Tate, M.D. discussing the links between repressed emotions, especially anger, and chronic disease. Excellent book. Highly recommend.

• January 3, 2017 at 7:53 am

Thank you for your kind words Diane. My intention is not to help you avoid therapy though 🙂 Take a look at the CEN Providers list on my website. Lots of them do Skype therapy. Thanks for telling us about Gabor Tate’s book, that sounds fascinating! Sending you all my best wishes.

• January 2, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I have to disagree regarding empathy. I have a narcissistic sibling who has zero compassion or empathy for others, yet appears to maintain hundreds of friends who believe she’s America’s sweetheart. She is very controlling and manipulative but has created a public (online) persona that fools everyone.

• January 2, 2017 at 12:21 pm

I could be misunderstanding the new research on empathy. Perhaps my sibling is good at “pretending” to be empathetic with high EI, but in reality could not care less.

• January 2, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Hi Brenda, it certainly is possible for narcissistic folks to feign empathy, and many are very good at it. In order to learn empathy you do have to want to increase your empathy and make a point to work at it. A narcissistic person can learn to feel real empathy if he/she truly wants to change. Thanks for your comment!

• January 4, 2017 at 11:42 am

I have recently discovered that wealth is descendants carrying ones genes into distant future, and that happiness is being able to eat without asking your mother.