6 thoughts on “Lessons From Demi Moore's Reaction To Suicide Threat

• April 7, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Another great post! I actually hadn’t followed this story much other than seeing a couple headlines, so I appreciate you explaining it. Like you said, celebrities have powerful social influence, so I say let’s use it for good. In this case, Demi Moore expressed to the individual that she hoped this was a joke, that it would be meaningful to her that an attempt not happen. That’s a big deal, as folks who are considering attempting almost universally have a (mistaken) belief that nobody would care if they were gone (Joiner, 2005).
    It’s actually fortuitous that this happened amidst your series of articles about what to do if somebody you know seems like they might be struggling with mental illness. People can not necessarily “save a life,” but they can decrease risk and do whatever possible to ensure that folks get the help that they need. My hope is that, with all the coverage, the right information is being mentioned.

1-800-273-TALK
    Cognitive behavioral therapy
    Dialectical behavior therapy

There are so many useful resources out there for folks who are suffering. It’s great when celebrities contribute to the cause and even better when writers cover it like you did here. I with the media would cover things differently, but it is going to take more marketing from folks in the field before that happens, so for now, this is great.

• April 7, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Like you, I wasn’t sure of my reaction. But I do commend Moore for “doing the right thing” and responding to the tweet instead of just letting it slide by. The attention she called to it was likely a positive thing overall, especially since it seemed to result in saving the person’s life.

Amazing how technology brings us together in ways I’m not sure anyone envisioned even 5 years ago…

• April 8, 2009 at 8:17 am

To your 2 things to learn, and then to the second one. . .

It’s better to lose a friendship then to lose a friend.

(meaning better to let them be mad at you then to physically lose the person for ever)

• April 9, 2009 at 8:34 am

@ Mike – Thanks! And you know, you’re right – it is going to take more from professionals and advocates to get the media to cover things differently. There’ve been some news and entertainment shows that’ve done great jobs, but then you have stories like this that get filed under “entertainment,” “celebrity,” and even “technology” (I suppose “technology” is better than the other two, ha). Ah, well – keep pushing forward L(

@ John – Technology blows my mind on a daily basis. Shoot, TWITTER blows my mind on a daily basis, lol – just last night I watched @snoopdog freestyle live and chat with people on ustream – that never would have happened a few years ago, haha. You know, something I was thinking about as I read your post and then was writing mine: Really, we don’t even know that it was Moore’s reply that made people notice the user’s suicidal tweet and start calling the police. It very well could have been, but we don’t know for sure. However, BECAUSE the user directed the message to Moore, well, that makes good headlines. I’m glad Moore didn’t ignore it, but the real heroes in this story are the people who actually took action and called the police. I should have said something about that.

@ kt – EXCELLENT point.

• April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am

Sigh…I’m on Twitter, but I never do anything with it. Maybe I should. I also write a celebrity blog, so it might help if I followed a few celebrities. I’m glad the person didn’t die, though.