10 Things I Will Do To Improve My Own Mental Health
I have had a tumultuous year, and because of this I have let my own mental health slide quite a bit while I adjust to new surroundings. Since its World Mental Health Day, I have decided to sit up and take notice of what I have and haven’t been doing, and make some changes. Some big changes and some not so big ones. Mental Health is such an important topic, and I am always discussing it, and yet I am really guilty of neglecting my own. This changes today.
Here is a list of things that I am going to start doing immediately:
- Put myself on a sleep schedule – I don’t sleep. And I am always exhausted, and because of that I tend to misinterpret things that are said to me.
- Make a greater effort to meet people, and make some friends in my new city. Loneliness does not help one’s own mental health issues.
- I am going to work on not cringing when someone hugs me. I can’t stand to be hugged, or touched. Really the only type of affection I can handle is a soft touch high-five! – This is going to change.
- Introduce the word “yet” into my every day vernacular. As in “I am not able to do this yet”, instead of giving up – Im going to keep on trying until said task is mastered.
- Start thinking of myself as a whole person, and not shards of broken glass.
- Breathe – inhale and exhale, slowly and evenly. I’m going to work on this during moments of anxiety.
- I will start saying yes to invites and events, instead of backing out at the last minute due to illness or anxiety.
- Practice better judgement with people – I am slowly learning to trust people, and I would like to explore this more. But cautious practice is needed here.
- Distance myself from media and social triggers that cause me pain.
- I will smile more.
It is no longer acceptable for me to be depressed, when there isn’t really a whole lot of reason to be. And so I will commit myself to making these changes.
Like everything else, it is easier to make changes in your life – when there are other people doing the same kind of thing. So if anyone is interested in joining me in a kind of “let’s support each other” group (not a support group) – leave a comment, and list some of the things you would like to work on. And we can make a promise to ourselves, and each other to stay on track.
Bzowy, L. (2014). 10 Things I Will Do To Improve My Own Mental Health. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 17, 2017, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/celebrity/2014/10/10-things-i-will-do-to-improve-my-own-mental-health/