8 thoughts on “BPD Diagnosis: 10 Common Fears

• July 23, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Some individuals struggle with the BPD diagnosis because of the stigma (some direct at it).

• July 24, 2019 at 7:56 am

Really good article. I am married to someone with BPD, and while it does have its challenges, I will say that I couldn’t imagine life without him. Though I do admit it takes a lot of patience to deal with certain aspects of the disorder, such as him not understanding empathy for instance. Everyone has faults as well as good points about them though. You just have to take the good with the bad.

• July 24, 2019 at 10:27 am

Ms. Hill – your article is excellent and tho I have been reading the Newsletter for years I decided to complete my registration today so I can post this comment and add one additional insight I feel compelled to relate. I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and have gone through years (and many hospital stays) to confirm the nature of my illness. There was a time when I would feel inner rage if I was told I had BPD but time has made me understand why others would say it and why it upset me so much. In your insightful article the one thing that that resonated in my mind is that by diagnosing BPD it implies there is something wrong with your personality. It felt like my “nature” was under attack and flawed. The stigma like you said is difficult to accept and explain but the emotion that runs deepest for me is that despite my great effort to be kind, empathetic and my ability to withstand separations from those I love, I still have difficulties coping. I can accept that genetics, environment and brain chemistry drive my inclinations but I hate thinking my personality is flawed. I realize now I am bipolar but to cope through my childhood my personality adapted – not flawed – adapted. Looking at BPD through this perspective has helped me release the anger at those who judge me and the anger I have toward myself for displaying what clearly is a BPD trait. I guess I just wanted to add that the stigma of a disorder or flawed personality is much harder to accept than the tangible symptoms of being polar. I like who I am and understand the “overlap”.

• July 24, 2019 at 12:37 pm

I’ve done a tremendous amount of research on bpd after being told I have bpd tendencies while being treated in an inpatient psych facility.
    I feel like the signs and symptoms describe 80% of people at some point in their lives. Bpd is an extremely stigmatized diagnosis and even the name (borderline) causes people to cringe and think of the person as being on the border of psychotic.
    One of the most insulting things that I experienced after sharing the information with my mother is a week after i was released from the institution I went to my mom’s and she had a stack of books (some with pages marked and highlighted) that she had ordered online with such titles as : stop being manipulated by borderline loved ones and how to help the children of bpd parents. ( pretty sure that wasn’t the exAct titles name.

• August 5, 2019 at 9:55 pm

Hi Abigail
      Thanks for sharing.

This is tough and I think a lot of the DSM diagnoses can be stigmatizing because of the labels themselves. But we also have to understand that these labels serve a purpose which is to provide a common language to understand symptoms and to clearly define criteria, as you know.

So the labels can be demoralizing but at the same time, they help family members stay focused on a specific problem in a book (for example, “Help your borderline loved one get help”) and understand symptoms. Still, it’s tough though.

• July 25, 2019 at 5:59 am

As someone who was diagnosed about a year ago, I was relieved to finally have a diagnosis that seemed to fit. Throughout my 40+ journey with psychiatrists and therapists, my story never changed. Thankfully, I started seeing a psychologist who had finished school within the past 5 years. He learned a lot about personality disorders. He didn’t come out and say, you have BPD, he told me he thought I was suffering from a personality disorder. He then left it up to me to research. And research I did. And I’m 9/10 for BPD.

• July 25, 2019 at 4:15 pm

I hate it when tv shows and movies describe the serial killer as having BPD and thats why they torture and kill. I have BPD and I not a dangerous person. Heck I have a hard time even killing a bug. I’m so tired of the bad rep.

• August 5, 2019 at 9:46 pm

We certainly need more balanced information. We need to see the good and the bad. It’s all important, not matter how difficult it is to watch.