Can you remember the impact of your childhood?
Can you remember how your father and mother (or guardian) treated you?
For most adults they have a pretty healthy and positive view of their parents. Most of the adults I see in counseling remember the good and the bad and the challenges but overall they report a positive experience.
Unfortunately, not everyone can remember or access a positive and healthy childhood. These individuals were traumatized by the kind of parent(s) they had.
In this short article and video, I discuss the behavioral characteristic of these unhealthy parents and how they tend to behave in the lives of their children.
Unhealthy parents with character disturbance tend to exhibit the following behaviors:
- Inflexible series of #behaviors, needs, & wants
- No ability to self-reflect and observe
- Pervasive pattern of #selfishness
- Labile symptoms over the lifespan
Raising a child with these characteristics can negatively impact the developing child in many ways. A few ways include but are not limited to creating:
- low self-esteem
- a substance abusing adolescent
- a child who experiments with sex and sexual topics such as pornography
- delinquency and conduct problems
- psychological and emotional trauma
Unhealthy and personality disturbed parents can impact a child for the rest of his or her life.