The year 2020 met us with a vengeance.
We, as a nation, probably saw none of what has happened to us this year coming.
Those who enjoyed partying and celebrating New Years had no clue we would face racial tension, social justice movements, abuse of power by some law enforcement, and a debilitating chronic disease.
2020 came as a surprise.
In this article, I discuss a few concepts that may help you understand what is going on.
RACIAL & SOCIAL JUSTICE CHALLENGES
There are a ton of theories we can use to explain the racial events of today. But there are a few that stand out to me:
- Social containment theory: social containment basically says that we internalize the norms of society which gives us an ability to conform in positive ways. Without internalization of norms, we cannot conform as we should and may engage in deviant behaviors.
- Social bond theory: this theory says that when you are bonded to the community or a greater purpose in one’s community (church, volunteer work, school, etc.) that you develop a healthy bond to the community. This bond helps us to engage in prosocial behaviors and avoid deviance.
- Social change theory: social change theory says that conformity must be explained and that deviance is normal. Individuals who engage in racist and discriminatory behaviors may cling to deviance and justify it. They may also go against conformity in society and stand upon their deviance no matter what. A prime example of this is the KKK.
- Fear mongering: Although we know that there are true cases of Corona virus and that death has resulted, we can’t naively believe every single report or statistic we hear. We can’t do that. We have to be reminded that there are fear mongers in society and they know how to increase public concern and fear by using reports, stats, data, and certain words.
- Political control: We also cannot ignore the fact that Corona created a major problem in our society relating to the political structure of businesses, small businesses, and small communities. When small communities and business went on shut-down, millions of people lost their steady stream of income, their hard earned businesses, and their direction. Getting started again hasn’t been easy for many business.
To learn more about these concepts and hear a live discussion, check out this video:
Photo by aagay