Comments on
5 Ways to Battle Burnout

Burn-out \ˈbərn-ˌau̇t\ : exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation usually as a result of prolonged stress or frustration.

Feeling exhausted? Numb? Helpless? It may not just be from the end of a long school year or stress on the job, you might actually be suffering from a case of burnout.

3 dimensions of burnout

Most of the research on burnout has been in the domain of work, but burnout can occur in just about any area of our lives. The leading researcher in the field, Berkeley professor Christina Maslach, has defined three dimensions of burnout:

15 thoughts on “5 Ways to Battle Burnout

• June 21, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I quit my job and got this job, it was easier for a while, but they’re slowly transforming it into something like my old job. I’m on the verge of burnout, but I got this one mind altering drug for a safety net.

The paychecks are nice. At the end of the day everyone knows that I’m only there for the money, but when faced with a nearly impossible task I take it on, kind of an ego thing, even if it damages my health.

• June 26, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I didn’t realize it, but I’m definitely in a state of burnout. I’m finding myself negative and snarky lately, and just kind of disinterested and emotionally withdrawn.

I really love your tips to deal – especially the first: pay attention to yourself. I’m normally so in tune, but I’ve been way out of touch lately. I think passing on some of the “shoulds” and getting some alone time will help me sort things out. Thanks for helping, Bobbi. 🙂

• June 26, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Yup, sounds like you’re burned out alright, Kaylee. Hope letting up on the “shoulding” helps!

• June 27, 2012 at 4:27 am

Great tips, Bobbi. I could certainly relate to the article, having faced burnout several times in my life. Eventually I made a career change to one more closely aligned with my values and life is amazing.

Great reminders anytime though to pay attention and stop shoulding!
    Claire

• June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Good point, Claire. Pursuing a career that you’re passionate about is a great way to prevent burnout!

• June 27, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Burnout. Now there’s a powerful word.

I’m going to pass this along to a couple of family members who suffer(ed) from burnout and can’t seem to get out of a cycle.

• June 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I hope this is helpful for your family, Joel!

• June 28, 2012 at 2:04 am

Burnout is a nasty one. Exhaustion, depletion, and you’ve got it: used up. I’ve been there all too many times. Best is to not get there in the first place. But we all fall down that rabbit hole sometimes so thanks for these awesome tips for climbing out!

• June 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Glad you liked the article, Sarah!

• June 28, 2012 at 3:19 am

Loved the “what if I didn’t”

I’ve started doing things like that and it’s awesome. For instance we were invited to an Easter dinner this year by some people I don’t care for at all. My husband felt obligated to go. In years past I would have went because “its a holiday”. I chose to stay home. It was perfect. I was happy and they got the point. Won’t have to live that one again! 🙂

• June 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh, JT, isn’t that just the most freeing feeling? Good for you!

• June 28, 2012 at 9:58 am

Mm… I wonder how many of my friends are heading towards a path of burnout. I wonder if I was heading towards that path before I made the switch. Thank you for the info – hopefully it will never need to come in handy, but if it does, I’m glad I was exposed to it.

• June 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I hope you never get burned out, either, Amit!

• June 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I don’t have burn outs. It’s got a lot to do with psychology, because I refuse to have them. But exhaustion does happen, especially when you keep pushing yourself. I think the solution then is to rest when you need, replenish creative wells as required, and then move on.

• June 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’m so glad you don’t get burned out, Dolly!