6 thoughts on “What Can an Occupational Therapist Do for You?

• December 11, 2008 at 10:58 am

Great article. AOTA has recently launched a new online community http://www.otconnections.org and topics such as this one are discussed in the forums. Feel free to ask and participate

• December 11, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I have to admit that the idea of getting involved in a personally tailored, occupational therapy program is extremely appealing. While I’m currently working and plenty functional, I think there’s an obsessive element of laziness (or avoidance) at work in many areas of my life and OT sounds like the closest thing that I believe would be helpful; standard therapies have not been very effective.

• April 22, 2009 at 6:24 pm

What courses really qualify them for this? Are they not expanding too much?

• December 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

RE: ollamok ardnas

I am currently an occupational therapy student. We are required in my program to take general, abnormal, and developmental psychology courses (minimum of those 3) as pre-requisites for our master’s program. While in OT school, we also have a course dedicated to mental health, and a required fieldwork experience (40 hours) in mental health. OTs who are interested in this area of work can opt to do one of their two Level II (3 months) fieldworks in a mental health setting.

Occupational therapy got its start in mental health nearly 100 years ago. Only 3% of OTs work in mental health today, because mental health is such a poorly funded service in our country, among other reasons. However, OTs are well trained to work with people with mental illness. Although it is NOT the same thing as bipolar I or II, depression is extremely common in many clients an OT will see in his/her lifetime, simply due to the severe stress of being chronically ill or injured. Our coursework prepares us well for these encounters.

I hope that answers your question!

• December 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm

OTs also MUST participate in continuing education (I believe it’s 24 hours every 2 years…) to keep their license. The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) offers continuing education courses in mental health so that an OT working in this setting can really hone his or her skills.

• December 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

With the risk of being annoying (if anyone ever even sees this…) I have one more link to share!

This is a link to some articles (not pertaining to BP disorder) about some instances where OTs have worked with mental illness. This is by no means a comprehensive example.