30 thoughts on “Bipolar Disorder Medication Spotlight: BuSpar for Anxiety

• September 25, 2009 at 10:09 am

I’ve taken BuSpar for years and love it. I’m diagnosed with ADHD, Major Depression, and GAD. It seems to work best in conjunction with Cymbalta. Since I have a history of addiction, the benzos aren’t a great option. I understand that many people don’t have this good luck with it and that I’m very fortunate.

• September 25, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I was prescribed buspar for anxiety after getting off of an SSRI. It did not work for me. I stayed on it for roughly four months with no positive results. I didn’t have side effects, but I got MAJOR discontinuation symptoms: I was dizzy, sick, anxious, etc. It was AWFUL.

• September 26, 2009 at 1:38 am

I was prescribed Buspar for anxiety and it was the only med I was on. I thought it helped with social anxiety for about 2 months (whereas I had taken it for general anxiety). It really didn’t do what I wanted, and good effects subsided after a couple of months. It had some side effects I liked though, such as incredibly enhanced sense of smell, and taste also. Very cool! The drug also works on the dopamine system. I would sometimes get a real rush of pleasure from doing things I never used to enjoy doing, like driving a car recklessly or fast. Also, I found certain visual and aural stimuli very pleasurable, like one time, while driving, I saw the pink glow of the sunrise on a nearby mountain and almost had an accident I was so overcome with the beauty. In general, the side effects were way better than the short-lived therapeutic effects on anxiety. After about 5 months, since the drug was no longer helping me, my doc said to stop taking it. I would advise against that–taper off this drug. I became extremely moody for several weeks and was emotionally volatile, a way I am not normally. So beware when you quit.

• October 3, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I’ve been diagnosed as bipolar I, ultradian cycling. The only medication which has had the affect of stabilizing me is lamotrigine. I was prescribed buspirone for debilitating anxiety and it did not seem to help me in the least. Anxiety affects my sense of smell, can cause vertigo, interferes with normal activities like working, conversation with others and reading. It can literally force me to have to lay down in a quiet space.

The only medications (unfortunately) that have helped are benzodiazepines. Because of concerns about addiction (I am a recovering addict), I moved from alprazolam to clonazepam. I didn’t recognize it at the time, but it had a generalized “dampening” effect on my emotional range and my energy levels. I did too quick a taper down from clonazepam and experienced some of the withdrawal symptoms: tremors, sweating, agitation, insomnia and gastric problems.

I have since returned to alprazolam on a PRN basis. I feel fortunate I have no desire to increase the amount or frequency of this medication, as it does alleviate debilitating levels of anxiety. I am currently attempting to deal with the remaining (significant) levels of anxiety through exercise, meditation/relaxation and CBT. I feel like I’m making progress, but it’s slow (to my way of thinking) progress and anxiety is still a significant factor in my day to day life.

• October 18, 2009 at 3:48 am

I was prescibed buspar for 3 weeks after months of anxiety. It was given to me in Egypt for 3 weeks. The doctor combined it with Gingko Biloba and gave it to me for the time I was there only. It worked very well for me as my anxiety was moderate and genral. I have no depression, AHDH or Bipolar. I had no side effects and it gave me the chance to go on with my every day things and enjoy my trip. The doctor also recommanded alot of rest at regular hours, 3 complete meals a day, no cafeine and no liquids after a certain time in the evening so I wouldn’t wake up. Like I said, it worked very well and helped alot. Now I’m back home and done with the meds.I will continu with the Gingko as I know it has positive affects on ppl that are sensitive to anxiety like me.

• May 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I have been through many medications… Im Bipolar 2 and general anxiety. I absolutly love buspar. It helps my anxiety and mood swings. Its calm enough that I don’t feel overwhelmed by medication. I would suggest anyone trying it. Get through the dizziness and stomach irratation that it has the first few days and it’s a miracle drug.

• May 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I have been taking buspar only one time a day and would like to know if it is necessary to take it multiple times a day.

• June 12, 2011 at 12:10 am

I recently went through a divorce. I thought I was doing well but have found that I cannot finish projects (get started, but find I’m either no longer interested or perhaps, I’m just afraid of failure…. who knows) and recently, I’ve cut back on my hours of work.
    I just don’t want to go out, anywhere. I must push myself to take my dog for a walk. I feel like I’m hiding from life and though I’ve never ben a big time social person, I’ve never cut myself off quite as much as this.
    Looking at some of the stories, above, I’m wondering if Buspar might be something that I could use? However, I am on a 0.5 mg of Alprazolam, prn, and would be frightened NOT to have that available.
    Is it possible to take a prn benzodiazipine along with the Buspar?

• June 29, 2011 at 10:36 am

I have a lump in my throat that the GI doc suspects is from anxiety. I’ve had all the usual tests, and everything came back normal. The doc had me on Klonopin which made me a zombie, and when I stopped taking it ( after one week ), I had all kinds of nasty withdrawal symptoms for about three weeks. Now I don’t take anything, but the lump is still there and I can’t seem to work or enjoy anything. I can eat fine, so that’s not an issue. I was just wondering if Buspar would be mild enough to not make me a zombie, but work enough to rid me of my lump in my throat…. and not make me feel like a heroin addict if I have to stop taking it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• July 23, 2011 at 12:57 am

I have PTSD one of the things tryed was buspar. For me it was awful, it seemed to increase my anxiety, it felt as if I had burrs in my blood stream. I became very irritable, fidgety, and unable to sleep. I was on an antidepresant also but can’t recall which.

• August 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm

My husband is bipolar manic depressive, he takes a mood stabelizer plus Lexapro which has left him unable tobe sexually functionale so the dr presribed buspar to help in that area. My question is , Does it work like that??

Than you,
    Kim

• November 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I have had terrible problems with anxiety since I was 16. I am now 24 and have been recently diagnosed as Bipolar Type II. I have tried Zoloft (with and without Wellbutrin) and Abilify (don’t even think of trying it). Recently, my campus psychiatrist wrote me a Rx for Buspar.

In 4 weeks of taking Buspar twice daily, I have gotten life changing effects from it. The anxiety, especially the first thing in the morning anxiety, has almost completely subsided. It is certainly manageable and I feel FANTASTIC.

I would recommend Buspar for people who deal with regular anxiety that is prolific despite rational thought and therapy. It has given me that edge to get back at every day tasks, to the gym more often, more regular consistent sleep, etc.

As a disclaimer for those of you suffering from Bipolar, especially type II that I am familiar with, this drug HAS NOT helped me with mania. I am still manic on a nearly regular basis, but it doesn’t interfere with my abilities to be productive (quite the contrary). But the nasty depressive anxiety & anxious depression has subsided. Give it a try!

• December 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I have been taking Buspar for 6 days now and still experiencing tremors. Is this common? I take Buspar with Effexor and Lamictak

• April 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I have depression and anxiety and have tried several medications and buspar has worked the best for me.

• August 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I was prescribed with BuSpar to boost up my Effexor. My doctor told me to take BuSpar only when needed that’s all.

• November 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I was diagnosed with depression, general anxiety and ocd, and probably is the only medication that helps reliably, for almost 10 yer time years I have had crippling anxiety attacks and severe depression that interfered with daily life. and buspar while not the cure all (still have depression and still have anxiety issues, does make it more managable

• November 21, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have just been prescribed Buspirone(Buspar) and am getting ready to start taking it. I have had a very sporadic history of diagnosis. I was in the military from 2005-2009. First, in 2006 (I was 19 y/o) I was diagnosed mild depression and GAD, I was prescribed Celexa. I didn’t feel any change on Celexa. They then switched me to Zoloft (2007), I went from minor depressive to major depression, and with it came the thoughts of hurting myself. At that point I was moving duty stations. The next new psychiatrist proscribed Effexor (2008), and they diagnosed me with PTSD (due to childhood trauma). This medication through me into a constant manic state, I did a lot of reckless things on this medication, I had the overwhelming feeling of being almost too happy. Then mid 2009 I got out of the military and seen another therapist and psychiatrist. I also tried to quite the Effexor cold turkey, NOT a good idea, I spent a week with extreme virgo. Then the new Dr put me on Celexa. I was ok on it and it helped me get through the Effexor withdraws. This new doc diagnosed me with Cluster B personality disorder. (2011) I move again, and am now seeing a new therapist and psychiatrist. She tells me that she believes I am slightly bipolar and that maybe the reason the Effexor made me feel the way it did. She also believes that some of the other diagnosis are incorrect ones, except the mild depression and anxiety. So my plan is to only try the Buspar on its own. With my history I am a bit scared to try any other SSRIs or antidepressants. I have also tried CBT in the past and absolutely LOVED everything about it! I hope I will be able to get back into it soon. I will post an update in about 3-4 weeks on my outcome.

• April 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

WEll I just started this and I dont think it will work I need something like Kolpain or Xanax quick reaction, and it takes so long to get in your system what the heck. I need something now.

• May 20, 2013 at 8:37 am

Buspirone has turned me into a monster. Whatever level of anxiety I was feeling now has become irrational irritability. My wife told me I’m more bi-polar now than ever. I really dont like how I feel on this medication and truly believe I was better off before beginning it.

• October 3, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I’ve been reading different people’s blogs iam about to start takeing buspirone they are starting me out with 7.5 mg twice a day and work my way up to 60mg Iam bipolar and schizophrenic and bad anxiety can I take clonazepam with that plus I don’t want to rage I read that you can rage bad from it I almost lost my wife and kid so I put myself in rehab because I use to abuse Vic’s I don’t want to get hooked on something what is buspirone like.

• April 13, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’ve taken buspar recently for general anxiety. I have found I only need it intermittently. I only need to take 5 mg in the AM. When I take it I have more energy, better concentration, am calm and not fatigued – which is great.

Nothing else has worked for me, tried many anti-depression drugs that did nothing except either make my anxiety worse or my fatigue worse (which I do not need). ADHD drugs did not help with concentration.

A lot of meds seem to trigger my sinuses problems. Still trialing the buspar to see if it adds to the sinus problems.

• September 7, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hi Nikki,

My doctor is taking me off Prozac slowly and wants me to try Buspar. I have tried so many drugs this past year and nothing seems to help. I have tourettes and a social anxiety. I also have anger issues. I have put on alot of weight this year with all this medications.

Is the buspar still working for you? Have you gained weight from it?

• September 9, 2014 at 12:43 am

Hi Hopeful,

I stopped the buspar because the medication I take for migraines interacts with the buspar and it bothered my sinuses.

The buspar did not cause me to gain weight. That said, I took it intermittently and usually (well not so well this summer 🙂 but usually follow a strict gluten and dairy free diet with little sugar. A lot of rice, chicken and steamed greens.

The things that help my immune system also help my social anxiety, my migraines and my energy. These are a strict diet (which is hell to follow, but I feel much better after 2 to 3 weeks on it), saunas, and herbs and supplements that are antibiotic and antifungal (cats claw, boswella, grapefruit seed extract capsules and sometimes burdock root), prescription antibiotics and antifungals also help but have more side effects.

I take zopiclone at night which helps with mood/anger, stress and promotes sleep for me.

I hope you find something that helps. My health and social anxiety got much worse in 2010. But this past year I have found a number of things that help. So keep going and give it time. Things I thought I had to stop doing forever I have been able to do again this year. Keep your hope.

• July 31, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I am on 7.5 mg buspirone twice daily. I have been taking it for 8 days ? I have tingling in hands feet most of time Ringing in ears also get very fatigued easily plus insomnia. Will this all subside as I am on this longer?

• August 12, 2014 at 1:02 am

I am taking Buspar for almost a year now for anxiety and depression, I also have ADHD and I love it. I don’t like to feel disconnected or hi and this medication keeps me alert. I stop taking it thinking I would do ok without but my anxiety went up to te roof again. I don’t have any side effects. I do take it twice a day together with 40mlg Celexa. Highly recommend it

• September 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I am 21 years old. I have tourettes and also social anxiety. Been through alot of meds and nothing seems to work. My doctor just gave me .5mg of xanex 3 times a day if need. I am being weened off Prozax 20 mg. Next week I see the doctor and he is going to try Buspar on me. I need something to work!!!!. Will I gain weight from it?

In this past year I have put on 40 lbs with trying all these meds that so far did nothing for me.

• March 12, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I have been taking propranolol (beta blocker) for performance/social anxiety for nearly 5 years. My anxiety has recently skyrocketed due to some major life changes. My doctor says its probably adjustment anxiety. I have now been on Buspar for 10 days. I think it has really helped. The only really negative side effect is fatigue on my days off (for some reason I don’t notice it when I am occupied). I’m hoping this goes away. I know I have not been on it long enough for the full effects, but I do think adding this medication has helped reduce my anxiety.