Comments on
Hyper-Sexual Episodes: Let’s Talk About Sex!

Okay, I know for many people that sex can be a majorly taboo subject, but I am going to talk about it anyway. Many people wonder and don’t understand how hyper-sexuality can affect relationships so I am going to try to discuss my own experiences when my bipolar takes a hyper-sexual swing.

6 thoughts on “Hyper-Sexual Episodes: Let’s Talk About Sex!

• June 15, 2012 at 7:53 am

I’m glad you wrote about this because I just thought I was going crazy.. I am not in a relationship and this makes it even harder when this comes along.. I am the same way as you are, one or two days my sex drive is sky high an than it drops and I don’t even think about it for a while.. I kind of thought it might be connected to my bipolar disorder but wasn’t really sure..

• August 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm

OMG!! Thank you. I had no idea that this was a part of my Bipolar. There are days that my focus is on one thing and one thing only. I never understood I just believed I had an extremely high drive. I too have entered into some very wrong relationships during one of these times, now that I am aware I can begin to manage it better. This is not going to be easy because I am single. Thank you again, so very much.

• June 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

I am so happy to have found out what was wrong with me. I have only known about the bipolar for the last few years and am still trying to understand it. This was the one of the parts that I really didn’t understand about my bipolar. It is people like you who aren’t afraid to put themselves out there and talk about it that help the rest of us. Thank you.

• July 6, 2012 at 7:04 am

Beth, it is refreshing to hear you talk about this difficult issue. I don’t seem to be able to have the insight to my actions, though. At the time, they seem very normal. Only looking back do I realize that the hyper-sexuality is part of a manic episode. When I was married, my husband did reap the benefits of these states. I never did go outside of my marriage. But since my divorce, I have entered into some disastrous relationships during the hyper-sexual episodes. Again, only by coming down do I realize I was “up”. I have told my psychiatrist about my feelings, but he doesn’t seem to address them unless I am obviously manic.

• July 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

Charlotte,
      I had a crap doctor for a while who would only address symptoms I was currently having relating to my epsidoe. Frequently I would not see what was happening until it was over, and I sit back and go “wow, I did THAT!?!?” and I never really got help with it. I have a new doctor that I can talk about anything to, and she always helps me make sense of things and sort through them. I am so lucky, I always get 1 hour appointments every two weeks. I have made tremendous progress with her over the last several months, and look forward to more. I like to blog about insights she gives me, whether they are direct or indirect “oh, I get it now” 3 days later. I think we all should have a doctor like mine! Unfortunately, as I saw for years, great doctors are impossible to find. She is getting older now though, and I dread the day she reitres. FOr now, I take as much help as I can get and pass it along to my readers, indirectly šŸ™‚

• July 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm

It was very eye opening to read your story. I have had hyper sexual events almost all my life and never realized what it was all about. I just thought I was out of control…which I was. I’ve only recently been diagnosed as bipolar. At first I was shocked that my GP even suggested it. Now I’m relieved to know there is a reason for my all consuming sexual episodes. They interfere with everything, work, after work plans, everything. I struggle to have enough of a conscience to keep me from really doing bad things. I have to deal with being extremely frustrated because my wife is not very sexual. You’re lucky.