Home » Blogs » Adventures of a Bipolar Mom » Passing A Kidney Stone: I Was Refused Treatment and Then Kicked Out of The ER – Part 3

Passing A Kidney Stone: I Was Refused Treatment and Then Kicked Out of The ER – Part 3

emergency roomWhile laying in the bed hyperventilating clutching my father’s shirt and burying my head in his chest, I am feeling weaker and weaker. I am overwhelmed with anxiety and paranoia, unable to even get my head together. A nurse comes beside me telling me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. I couldn’t, my nose was so stuffy from all the crying I couldn’t use my breathing practices. Not to mention I was so hysterical I could not calm down. Do they help me? No.

The nurse leaves the room and with the room quiet my father talks me through the attack, soothing me, and trying to calm me down. I had finally calmed down some and within a couple of minutes another nurse walks in and I immediately (without even the slightest warning from my body) begin severely hyperventilating again, begging someone to help me because I can’t breathe. Do they help me? No.

My father had to leave the emergency department for “threatening” the staff because they were refusing medical treatment to his very sick daughter. Security walks him out and stands by the door. I notice another security guard at my door watching me.

The nurse comes in to discharge me only minutes after my last attack, this time a new nurse. I ask for a copy of the CT so that I can seek further treatment and he refuses. I couldn’t even get a copy of the report. I begin to get extremely agitated and it shows. They still refuse to even give me test results so I can see someone at the urgent care. He is extremely nasty to me, aggressive, and refusing to help me in any way. He tells me to sign the papers and get out, insisting that there is nothing wrong with me I am fine. He looked at me as though I was a real drug addict. He looked at me like I was the most horrible waste of a human being. I was humiliated.

I sign the forms and walk out of the room to be greeted by a security guard twice my size. I said “you have got to be kidding me” he says “no ma’am, I have to walk you out” and I just start laughing. It was the only thing I could do to remain calm because I knew there was no hope for me even getting the anxiety and panic attacks under control. The best thing would be to go home and take my own medication to calm down. I said “really, what am I going to do? I can barely walk and I am a threat to this hospital?” and he says “I’m sorry, I’m just doing as I am told.”

I meet my father in the waiting room and he walks me to the car. I finally get home, the pain is escalating again. I take 800mg of ibuprofin, 5mg of Ativan, and an Ambien. I lay in bed and just cry, having anxiety attacks waiting for the medication to work.

I wake 2 hours later to pee and viola. A stone.

I go back to bed until noon the following day. Thank goodness for my understanding brother taking care of my kids for me while I slept.

When I woke my eyes were so swollen I could not even hold them open. They were just small slits. My body was so puffy that my wedding ring was cutting off circulation to my finger causing it to turn blue. I couldn’t button my pants. I was an emotional wreck already and that just added to it. I spent most of the day lounging around my grandmother’s house. I felt as though I had been punched in my side, very bruised and achy. Not to mention the random anxiety attacks I was still coping with. I was happy I had remembered to grab my ativan when I left home, without it I probably could not have made it through that day.

I was a wreck. Then first thing Monday I go to the hospital to get a copy of my records and I was completely shocked at what I found, or should I say didn’t find, in my records.

Photo by Taber Andrew Bain, available under a Creative Commons attribution license.

Passing A Kidney Stone: I Was Refused Treatment and Then Kicked Out of The ER – Part 3


3 comments: View Comments / Leave a Comment



APA Reference
, B. (2011). Passing A Kidney Stone: I Was Refused Treatment and Then Kicked Out of The ER – Part 3. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 4, 2020, from


Last updated: 24 Oct 2011
Statement of review: Psych Central does not review the content that appears in our blog network ( prior to publication. All opinions expressed herein are exclusively those of the author alone, and do not reflect the views of the editorial staff or management of Psych Central. Published on All rights reserved.