7 thoughts on “Keeping Creativity Alive with Bipolar Disorder

• February 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thinking about myself through my years, I never would have said I was creative. However, reading this has helped me realize that I’ve ALWAYS been creative, even back in my girlhood.

Then, it was drawing, clarinet, diving, writing.. Then adulthood, writing newsletters for my childrens groups, and teams, putting together school parties.

Now, it is creating reef aquariums, keeping my dogs close & making sure they are well-trained (training is an art!), teaching my parrots to talk and changing their ‘apartments’ up so they’re not bored, and I’m learning to play cello.

And, I’ve never once thought of those things as being creative! This could be why my counselor and psychiatrist keep telling me how creative I am. Huh.

Thanks for this blog entry!

• February 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I remember when I was younger I was pretty good at art. It made me feel good when all the hard work was finished and I could say I did that!

I started my own venture writing articles about alcoholism. I know it’s going to be a lot of hard work but that’s what I enjoy and keeps me on track.

I appreciate your article and have a good weekend!

• February 8, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Hi Barb! I think we all forget how unique we all are and forget that because of the way we naturally think. But I am proud of who I am and grateful like you for my creativity too.

• February 9, 2013 at 4:20 am

I am in need of creating everyday. Almost all the time I am awake. I need to be reminded to eat. Take infrequent breaks to watch some tv but can’t concentrate, need to get back to my laptop. i write a blog, poems, essays, prose, learning to write in the Japanese Style of Poetry. I am working on a screenplay. I do art for my posts and for myself. I create collages and posters. When I was a kid I wrote a lot and painted. I wrote songs and played multiple musical intruments. Now I am making short movie videos, just really learning. I want to get deeper into photograpy. I do computer graphics. I cannot be creative enough. And most of the time I do not realize I have all these abilities to the extent to call myself an artist, a writer, a musician, a screenwriter. I wrote my first screenplay when I was about 13 yrs old and my first novella when I was in high school. I was in the youth orchestra, the church choirs. I was actually in a professional singer group who played guitars and I wrote some of the music. I see all these things written down but I would never beleive in myself until this person came along and started telling me that I was good and I kept getting better. I have all these ideas in my head. I told a friend on Skype tonight that I never knew a head of time what my post was going to be that day or night. I write at least one post a day but often more, sometimes up to four. It depends on how much energy I have and how much I want to express. To think a few years ago I was afraid to show even my then therapist one poem or even to read it to her because i felt I would be misunderstood. Now I write about anything. My partner said about something I posted a few days ago that she would never print something like I had written. I call it Free Stream. I just named it that when I was filling out the heading to the post. I like that “Free Stream.” That exactly what it was. I started out writing a poem but I knew that I was never going to get what I wanted to say to fit into a poem. Not b/c of length but b/c of how i wanted to say it. Anyway, with my new mentor I have found the confidence to write about anything and to feel free to express myself anyway I wanted to. My friend tonight said that my posts were a work of art. I do art and writing and always have at least one piece of music and I love quotations, so all my posts have at least one quote but usually lots more than one. It is important to my sanity to be creative and I highly recommend it to anyone especially if you are bipolar b/c it gives you a place to center your energy and you will find you have a lot to say and it will make you feel good to express yourself. And when you start to have people like and enjoy what you create and some people even comment and you comment back and on their blog post. It makes you feel connected and you actually do develop relationships. My friend that I was skyping with tonight who said my posts were a work of art also called me brilliant and creative. I didn’t have that as a kid or as an adult too much. There were mentors here and there some professors and some therapists but to have someone you meant online and have made great friends with and my other mentor is also from online. Both live on the other side of the world and across oceans but they give me so much and they encourage me to create. They love what I have to say and how I express myself. It is so rewarding. So do it. Really do it. Create. jk

• March 23, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thank you for posting this. My greatest fear since being diagnosed and medicated has been losing that creativity and heightened sensitivity that makes me different, special, good at what I do. I’ve begun taking bipolar meds, and have realized that while I may be slightly less “edged,” they help me to PRODUCE and RELATE in ways I couldn’t before the meds. This article confirms that. Much obliged!

• June 30, 2014 at 2:09 am

Really a wonderful blog. It helps too feel mee somewhat special again.but one thing that worries mee was the use of medication.because as long as remember I really like to sing and write song.and even performed in my college fest which now I can’t even think of doing it again.maybe it was thee manic episode. But when docter discovered that I have bipolar he put me on some what other kind of medication.after one month right now I am in this depressive state. Do not feel to sing and write my emotions again.I really miss that state.thee suicidal thoughts is circling my mind.so is there any way to gi to that manic state.. If any one knows….