13 thoughts on “What’s the deal with crying?

• May 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I have Bipolar and am usually hypo manic. I have definitely noticed that I uncontrollably cry even for just a few seconds during certain emotional stimuli. However I also notice that certain events that I SHOULD cry about, I have no outward emotional response – even if I want to or feel the need to. Has anyone else experienced this?

• May 7, 2015 at 5:12 am

I’m a crier too. I cry when I’m happy, sad, angry. I cry at weddings, funerals, movies, books…I once cried when my boss offered me a salary increase. Sometimes I cry just because I feel overwhelmed. I wish I could just stop.

• May 8, 2018 at 2:28 pm

I have Bipolar and I’m always felling sad or just moody. Today I woke up very teary eyed and it continued into a non stop cry. I feel like I just received some news that someone who I love very much just passed away. I can’t control it. My doctor told me to go to the ER., but all they do is make you wait in a corner for 2 plus hours and by the time you finally get in, all they do is give you an adivan. Something I have at home. I had been taking a med. called “Lamotrigine and it was a Godsend, but 5 years ago, I had a messy ruptured brain aneurysm. I don’t know why but the meds stopped working for me and I’m worse. Today, I’m tempted to just end it all

• May 8, 2018 at 3:43 pm

If you are having thoughts of self harm you need to call your doctor and go to the ER immediately.

• May 9, 2018 at 9:57 pm

LaRaem I had replied to your comment but I don’t see it here. Did you get my note about my experience with the er?

• May 10, 2018 at 5:10 pm

I understand you have had negative experiences with the ER in the past, but they are often the only resource available locally for times of crisis unless there is a psychiatric hospital nearby. It’s important that you follow up with a doctor to discuss your ongoing issues, especially since it seems like you have not had proper treatment for years. Changes can be made to your treatment plan to help stabilize your moods overall. I sincerely hope you find the help you need.

• May 8, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Sandra, call ‭1 (800) 939-5911‬ immediately. They have helped me more than once.

• May 8, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Wesley, how do they help you?

• May 9, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Sandra it is a Crisis Hotline. Store it in your phone.

• May 9, 2018 at 9:59 pm

O,K., thank you….

• December 11, 2018 at 1:40 am

It looks like I’m waaaaay behind on this article but I don’t care. I feel (ha!) compelled to respond. Crying is the worst symptom for me. There are certainly other symptoms that are objectively worse but the crying has a profound effect on me. I hate it. I loathe it. There are fits of crying I’ve had in public that when I remember them cause suicidal thoughts. I’m morbidly embarrassed by them and I’ve had them by the dozen if not hundreds over the years. It really does not help that I’m a man with all the macho BS that goes along with that. I also have a major hangup with appearing crazy. I feel like when I cry in public it’s exactly how I look. I cry too easily and too hard. To the average bear it must look effed up. I also suffered abuse as a child that included being called crazy on a consistent basis. Thus, this is a real problem for me. At the same time I enjoy feeling what I consider the marrow of life and the creative realm that comes with hyper-emotion. Ain’t that messed up? The duality of life. The thing you hate you also love and vice versa. Still, quite often I wish there was a treatment for this singular emotion. Or the crying at a minimum. Anyway, just needed to vent. Now I’m going to go cry.

• January 10, 2019 at 1:59 am

I feel your tears…crying along with you

• April 2, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Dan: thanks for sharing. You gave me another thing to be grateful for. I have freaked out at the possibility of crying in public. I have had many days when I wake in the morning and tears are just flooding my cheeks. There seems to be no immediate explanation for the tears. It occurs to me that I live with regret for how I have spent my time. I haven’t accomplished much worthwhile. I haven’t made a concerted effort to do so. Much of the time I think it belongs to brain chemistry. I never look at a time piece but it often seems I cry hard 5 or 10 minutes and then there is a break. I tried to resume normal breathing and feel okay for a while and then another wave of tears comes. They come in waves and catch me by surprise and I am at their mercy. I will not leave the house during these crying episodes. They leave me feeling exhausted. As a cigarette smoker of half a century, I have been programmed to want a cigarette afterwards. It’s like the after sex cigarette. No doubt cigarettes are killing me so it’s a sad story. I live with bipolar 1 disorder and it is a challenge to cope with it. Sometimes I find myself wishing I were someone else, someone who doesn’t live with this disorder and seems to have a productive and enjoyable life. But then I realized I could be any other person and some of those people are living with debilitating chronic physical pain, certainly enough pain to cause a grown man to cry. I am a real sissy when it comes to enduring physical pain, so if it were mine to choose, I would choose bipolar disorder over rheumatoid arthritis we’re being a paraplegic or any of hundreds of other diagnoses. I am comforted to know a God who loves me unconditionally. He has a reason for allowing me to live with this condition. I don’t need to know the reason and feel frustrated by not knowing. I only need to play the hand I’ve been dealt as best I can. God bless you Dan and all who struggle with mental and emotional illness.