14 thoughts on “We Need A Bipolar President

• August 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I think people would be surprised by how many people have learned to manage their “illness” and overcome what could have been overwhelming obstacles in their lives and have actually been great leaders. Some are famous, like Winston Churchill, others are unsung heros.

When someone is in a crisis or experiencing great difficulties, they need a new perspective or there will be no change and the same holds true for a nation. This is the point that Tom is making. People who have overcome great obstacles and effected great and positive change in their lives are best equipped to help others when a crisis hits. They already have learned how to assess a potentially overwhelming situation and respond appropriately rather than just react out of fear.

It takes great discipline and strength to learn to choose to be an over-comer every day of your life. We need leaders with strength like that who can help our country stare an overwhelming situation in the face, calmly and correctly assess the crisis, and respond rather than react. By responding, we are in control. When we react, the crisis is in control. I want a President who has gone through the fire and come out refined, fine tuned and tuned in to reality, one who can face fearsome situations with calculated calm learned through trials, and can inspire our nation to respond appropriately.

• August 11, 2011 at 8:51 am

Empowerment of BiPolar

I’ve long been fascinated with the concept of bipolar as a gift. There are many examples of bipolar individuals who did extrodinary things with their lives, Lincoln and Hemmingway being my favorites. I believe, as one who is finally a “functioning” bipolar, that I can do extrodinary things just because of my disorder.

I can best sum this up from a quote out of my novella:

“Haven‘t you noticed how bipolar disorder empowers you? How it shows you what others don‘t see? Especially how God talks through parted lips slightly atremble, or the flickering glow in a loving eye, or the humble beginnings of a smile. Scott, you do have a gift. You can see how thick and deep and sweet life is. It‘s right there in front of you. Hidden in your de-pression, fear, and hopelessness. You will seek and find the truth that leads to hope that you are going to be okay. Your family loves you dearly. You‘ll show them the strength of your collective love. A love bond so strong that it will overcome mental illness and, with God‘s help, strengthen so it can weather any hurricane.”

Todd

• August 13, 2011 at 5:00 am

interesting article, problem is, we need someone who will speak this Truth:

we’re not going to grow, consume, indebt and complicate our way out of the problems of growth, consumption, debt and complexity.

loudly and clearly and in no uncertain terms.

i have no faith or confidence that the average, modern, industrial primate–steeped as they are in the Myth of Progress–will respond favorably to this reality-based message or messenger.

“Protecting bits of nature here and there will not prevent humanity from losing our life support system. Even if areas dedicated to conserving plants, animals, and other species that provide Earth’s life support system increased tenfold, it would not be enough without dealing with the big issues of the 21st century: population, overconsumption and inefficient resource use.

[…]

“The world population, currently at seven billion, is well beyond Earth’s ability to sustain. By 2050, with a projected population of 10 billion people and without a change in consumption patterns, the cumulative use of natural resources will amount to the productivity of up to 27 planet Earths, the study found.

“Sustaining the current seven billion people on the planet requires a major shift in resource use. At present, the average U.S. citizen’s ecological footprint is about 10 hectares, while a Haitian’s is less than one. The planet could sustain us if everyone’s footprint averaged two ha, Mora said.

“If there are more people, then there are simply fewer resources available for everyone, so population control will be needed along the lines of ‘one child per woman’, he said.”
    – Data Shows All of Earth’s Systems in Rapid Decline

Tom Wootton genuflects to “GE, Disney, HP, Microsoft, and Apple” but they are a large part of the problem, not part of a reality-based adaptation to finite Earth (there is no “solution” to our looming crises, in the amerikan, capitalist/fascist, Ponzi/pyramid-scheme, mentally ill style)

and we also need to stop the modern practice of psychotherapy which focuses on individuals out-of-context:

“Western society’s preoccupation with individualism comes at the expense of collective action which could make a real difference to everyone’s quality of life. Our cultural emphasis on therapy as a process of change for individuals, in isolation, is disempowering.”
    – We’ve Had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy — And the World’s Getting Worse

we don’t need a bipolar president.

we need Revolution!

“This is, for me, the fundamental point: at what point does a riot become a revolution? Must the London youth don Black Bloc attire and shout utopian anarchist slogans while burning cop cars before their acts are recognized as a kind of political rebellion? Must they be able to articulate themselves in a way that is intelligible to readers of Alain Badiou, Giorgio Agamben and Antonio Negri before their riotous flashmobs are acknowledged as the highest form of networked insurrection yet achieved? I suspect that when revolution comes, the ones who have been too long waiting for it will be the very ones who miss it. For they will be too accustomed to looking in the wrong direction, waiting for the wrong words, the wrong actors, the wrong kinds of political deeds.

“The London Riots may not be pretty but as the old-lefty adage goes: ‘Revolution is not a dinner party, nor an essay, nor a painting, nor a piece of embroidery; it cannot be advanced softly, gradually, carefully, considerately, respectfully, politely, plainly, and modestly. A revolution is an insurrection…’ And the London Riots are, whether we like it or not, what an insurrection might look like if the forces of capitalism do not peacefully, voluntarily relinquish their stranglehold.”
    – Is Rioting Revolutionary?

• August 22, 2011 at 12:43 am

It’s nice to know that so many have made the switch from Bi-Polar to Bi in Order. I have experienced many Manic Psychotic Episodes and I am sorry but I was in control of the carriage. I was carried along at breakneck speed and the sense of death or incarceration loomed heavily upon my head. I don’t know how you manage psychosis but it’s refreshing to learn that it is possible. It seems like you can just wrassle that fiend to the ground and say, “I command you Bi-Polar demon not to make me spend $234 on those shoes and not to make me have sex with that cute man in the elevator (oops…too late). But I just cannot see a President in a full on Manic Psychosis being good to anyone. It’s actually completely and utterly irresponsible to suggest that this could be a good idea for anyone involved. It isn’t backward thinking to accept the dangers of Bi-Polar and to do everything to avoid that beautiful place of eternal sunshine and goodness where puppy dogs play and pretty girls smile at you all day long. We don’t want a President who wants to nail every single intern every single day. And aren’t we spending way too much money anyway? If we give a Manic President full access to all the safes, we are asking for serious fiscal trouble. I really cannot believe that the idea for this story didn’t get smothered in the crib.

• May 15, 2012 at 4:29 am

I really like your concept of the “bipolar demon” I’m going to adopt it 🙂 I agree with everything you’ve said, to be an advocate for a bipolar president is patently delusional.

• August 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Very useful post, I’ll go along with your website regularly.

• August 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have the mental medical records of our presidents and see the success/failure rate during their terms in office? Not something we are likely to ever know.

I get your point and like it. A person would not be able to ascend to such a high office if they didn’t have certain issues of mania under control–you know, have Bipolar IN order–but certainly the creativity of solutions would prove helpful even if not accepted by the the rest of our governing system.

• September 1, 2011 at 5:43 am

you’re really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a magnificent job on this topic!

• September 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm

You’ve done a wonderful job on this topic!

• September 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I conceive this web site contains some rattling good info for everyone : D.

• December 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Veteran of the US Army, unemployed, with a GED, and Bipolar. What fun that could be with the media, I’d kick butt in the debates, Herman Cain you need a running mate, I’ll take all the slack and blame for the bimbos. Yes I know he dropped out. I’ll be getting ready at Toastmaster waiting for the call.

Dream big or stay at home,

Mike Petrowski

• February 12, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

• February 29, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Hello.This post was really remarkable, especially because I was looking for thoughts on this matter last Wednesday.