7 thoughts on “Mini Manic Moments

• December 29, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Well if mania is wanting American Spirit cigarettes than I feel better about my BP2 diagnosis because with hypomania, Marlboro lights are the likely choice.

• December 29, 2014 at 9:42 pm

It’s so important to recognize our triggers. Good for you! I know I need to be more self-aware BEFORE I get into a difficult situation. Thanks!

• December 29, 2014 at 10:44 pm

A few months ago, I posted a status that was something like, “I am very happy, and this scares me a lot.” Because it usually means bad things are about to happened…(and they totally did!). *gulp*

• December 30, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Hi Elaina,
    I just started reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your story. I was diagnosed BP2 about a month ago and am figuring it all out. I have a question about your latest post – Why were you on an antidepressant as they can trigger mania or hypomania? That was definitely a trigger for one of my first hypomanic episodes.

Thanks.

• December 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Mona,
      Hi. Thanks for posting and for your question. Yes, antidepressants can spur mania in bipolar patients, but when taken with mood stabilizers that probability decreases. I often talk to my psychiatrists about antidepressants, but because I also take two mood stabilizers, they tell me I should be fine…AND when I am not, and notice signs of mania or hypomania for me, we make adjustments, like stopping the Prestiq.

I know it can be an overwhelming time when you are first diagnosed, but there is a lot of good information out there to help guide you. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for reading,
      Elaina J

• December 30, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Decrease the dose slowly. The recommended timeline is way too fast for me. I get withdrawl when I decrease antidepressants as fast as my dr. tells me to. I’ve finally gotten smarter and lower the dose in smaller increments & more slowly.

• November 27, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I personally think psychiatrists do not take into account that a lot of disorders are situationally caused. This is a quote from a Harvard Med School psychiatrists. Example: PTSD can be mistaken for Bipolar Disorder. Being really pissed off can be sarcastically mistaken for Bipolar. Like with ADD/ADHD it can be the popular disorder of the day. The Harvard PHD Psychiatrist even said that people who hear voices stop in a year with no meds. I was told by a therapist that psychology is not a science, Quote:” It’s like if we were both in an art museum looking at a painting. WE would both see something different. That’s why you had 3 different diagnosis in one week by 3 different therapist.” In one week by qualified PHD’s I had Alzheimers, Bipolar, and nothing wrong at all. My problem is even a quote: ” Don’t ever piss off a woman. If you do, you’ll know it!”