Comments on
Nasty Side Effects

blue pillsFor the past month I have been on a new medication to treat my newly found hypothyroidism. Not a big deal. Take a tiny pill on an empty stomach first thing in the morning with plenty of water.

8 thoughts on “Nasty Side Effects

• June 25, 2014 at 10:40 am

I ended up with the most nasty of all side effects, tardive dystonia and diabetes. For me, it’s not worth it. I’m now totally psych med free and control BP with diet, exercise and supplements. When you say “It was a little like being drunk – only sober” your not sober, your high. I’m a double winner, addict alcoholic too. I won’t work with sponsee’s taking drugs like that because they’re stoned outta their minds. I suggest for anyone to re-think bipolar meds. Thought your life was difficult before, try dealing with tardive dystonia and diabetes, not worth it when alternative treatment is so very effective. Most my bipolar friends have all left the psychiatric medication scene in favor of healthier, happier life. Just my opinion.

• June 26, 2014 at 1:48 am

What are the alternative treatments that you refer to?

• June 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Check out the Icarus Project Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs. It’s balanced educational material that provides information, but doesn’t say a person should or shouldn’t take psych meds. It lays out the realities and presents ways to move through decision-making and taking actions that feel right to each individual.

• July 1, 2014 at 1:36 am

Your right Sue just your opinion. Dont try to push it off on others.Some of us probably would be hospitalized or dead without our meds.

• June 25, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I night eat on Ambien, it’s terrible. It’s always junk food. Desiree Cart Dugas

• June 26, 2014 at 2:21 am

I lean toward Sue’s opinion. I’m reading a broader range of material about diagnosis and drugs. Saying there is no cure, take your meds until the side effects go away, etc, tosses a shroud of fear over independent reflection and self-inquiry. Once we are told our brains are broken, how can we trust our own thinking? People never get undiagnosed even if their “symptoms” go away. I still take some meds, but got off the Klonopin as soon as I could. It was my wake-up call med. I’m developing a deeper insight and trusting myself more as I examine what’s true for me and work to address my medical model imposed addiction.

• June 27, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Without my psych meds, I’d be DEAD, probably from alcoholism related illnesses.

I too am an alcoholic. I’m grateful I’m not your sponsee, sue. You aren’t a doctor. There’s even AA literature that deals with that. You are NOT a doctor.

What works for one does NOT work for another as we are all chemically different. I also take care of myself in other ways besides meds. However, I need meds also. I don’t like it, but who and what I was before was way worse.

I am now in the mental health field helping others like me. What I am, many are: dual diagnosis which equals mental illness plus substance abuse, also known as self medicating.

My apologies for all of this, but someone had to say something.

• July 1, 2014 at 1:39 am

Thanks for your post Pamster. I completely agree. Not all of of us can do what Sue did.