6 thoughts on “How Your Pet Can Help Your Bipolar Disorder

• September 27, 2019 at 10:28 am

Great article!

• October 4, 2019 at 6:40 am

Thanks for this useful life experience conversation about BiPolar and pets. We’ve been hesitant about getting another four legged family member since our lovely pets died. My son has this or another similar condition (they still can’t decide on the diagnosis after five years !) and is against getting another as thinkshe will upseta new animal withhis mood swings as they won’t have known him before he was ill and grown up with him as a child. So I’ve not persuaded him. We have (neighbour’s?) a couple of part-feral cats that look-in on us, don’t seem bothered about food (we see them hunting their own in the field above) almost daily and seem to wait until he appears. I use themas a way of getting him out of bed quite often. . one in particular talks to us and then trots off. Not lap cats, won’t be picked up. . but like to be stroked and even play. I think a kitten would grow up used to his outbursts. . and our dog used to ignore hisshouting and just remove himself from the area if he shouted at him. But my son would feel very guilty and remorseful afterwards and I’d get very cross with him at the time. . although I’m able to ignore the behaviour otherwise. . I view shouting as abuse where animals and children are concerned. But I guess a cat could just leave the house easily, whereas a dog is sodependent on us. It’s a difficult one.

• October 4, 2019 at 7:09 am

You are so right. My two cats and especially my little rescue dog Mack changed my life for the better. I also got Mack after a suicide attempt, and he helped me out of that black hole that swallows you when you try to get your life back together.

• October 4, 2019 at 3:43 pm

My little cat “Stripe”, turned 20 yrs old, 7 weeks ago and has of late, began to really show her age! I’ve had Stripe since the day she was born, the kitten of a feral cat, that occasionally raided or trash can! In 2005, my wife & partner of 12 great years, suddenly left, no warning, no reason! If I hadn’t had Stripe to care for and cry to, I doubt I be here, now! For the next 10 yrs, Stripe slept snuggled under my arm, much like my wife had! My sons grown & gone, Stripe was my Only Reason to live! The 10 yrs of Lonely Hell, finally ended with meeting a past coworker, in a place where I shouldn’t have been! We exchanged pleasantries and upon parting, she giggled and said: “Call me sometime, I’m Single Now!” It took 10 weeks to summon the courage to call and now, 5 yrs later, we’re “Seniors, In Love!” During HER 4 years of loneliness, LJ had her little Dog to Keep Her Alive & Sane! Sadly, that little one passed 2 yrs ago and I see Stripe, having the same problems! Since an infant, I’ve always had a Cat, nearby and Stripe, has been THE Best of them all! Our Pets ARE A Part of us and reflect who and what we are! They reflect the love we show, back to us, so that we FEEL Loved and Needed! Often, they care for us, as much as we care for them!

• October 4, 2019 at 3:46 pm

I have 3 dogs and 1 bird. They all help me,even when i’m crying the dogs will come to me without calling them.All 3 dogs are rescued dogs.We all go outside together and my neighbor lets my dogs run in his side yard and play with me. On my side i have a garden. If i go for a walk i can take them with me to make them happy as we get fresh air and i know that i will be safe if anybody tries to harm me being with the dogs.

• October 8, 2019 at 6:49 pm

This is a wonderful post! I have three kitties and a chihuahua – all adopted shelter pets – and they have literally kept me alive. It wouldn’t be fair to leave them. They’d never know why you were gone. I’m tearing up just thinking of it! Yes, yes pets are the best!