Comments on
the PSYCH ward

crazy psych wardI promised in my last post to tell you about my 5 day stay in the Psych Ward in Madison, TN.

First of all they pissed me off making me wait hours to get up to my floor.

10 thoughts on “the PSYCH ward

• April 15, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I take it you never served in the military. 22:00 is an acceptable “lights out.” After reveliery of 04:00 you learn to appreciate the 6 hours of “shut eye” and why it’s called shut eye.
    Mental Health Issues are one of the most used reasons, specifically Personality Disodrer, to discharge otherwise highly qualified personnel who C.O.’s find “problems” with. Not N.C.O.’s as they understand the “Jist” of things’.
    My “psych ward” stay’s were awakenings as to why I need to take care of myself.

• April 15, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Holy shit, I think we’ve actually been to the same psych ward. I stayed in the Tristar Skyline Hospital, (Madison, TN) and my experience there was horrible! My mom and I had to wait 14 hours in the emergency room waiting for a simple ride to even just take me there… They made me wear the same clothes for a week, the people there were shitty. After I got out I was told that it was one of the worst and crapiest places. I wish I had gone to Vanderbilt instead, because a friend of mine had better experiences there.

• April 15, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Just reading that is upsetting to me! I am now considering myself lucky that I ended up in a partial hospitalization program and not an inpatient ward for any period of time.

• April 18, 2016 at 8:30 am

Elaina J Dear~
    YOU keep hanging in there — just keep taking care of you, standing up for yourself when you must, and keep just being the Beautifully Bipolar YOU — thats all you ever need to be! Your readers really appreciate you, and you need to keep fighting for YOU!! So glad you are sharing and I hope it is helping in the overall “mess” (shall we call it) that is happening right now…Just get “YOU” back. Take care and know your readers care about you!

• April 18, 2016 at 11:59 am

Hi Elaina

A hug

I found it very cruel treatment we received to be admitted to an institution for mental disorders, the treatment is the same as when entering a prison inmate, it does not seem right.

I was also in a similar institution and lived not something I was also interned, never checked me anything, nor did I undress in front of others.

I wish that you have recovered and the rest of your life does not have to repeat this sad experience.

• April 22, 2016 at 6:05 pm

That is just plain disgusting!!! How dare they strip search you or anyone else. I’m appalled they did that. I enjoy your blog much and find your work inspirational to those of us who feel we have no voice. I’ve been inpatient 5 fun filled times but i never had to do that stuff. I always felt like i was doing something wrong by going to the hospital for being belittled. Its more like a punishment than feeling as though your doing something to help yourself which is how one should feel. Anyone else feel that way? I worked in a state mental hospital for over a year. It was extremely difficult to work there seeing things from both sides. In the end i had the ultimate breakdown and havnt worked since. I guess thats poetic justice.

• April 22, 2016 at 11:10 pm

I have been in and out of psych wards since I was 10 (1990). At first the stays were a form of punishment my mom came up with. I found out years later she got the idea from her dad who did it to her. Instead of grounding me she would call the psych ward and lie saying I was suicidal. They would send a ambulance, put me in restraints and take me to the psych ward. I was abused every visit, and often times more than once. My first time when I was 10 I was put in solitary for 2 hours because I didn’t want to play basketball. I was just sitting on the sideline and the staff said if I didn’t want to play basketball I could go back to the unit. Once I was back the nurse grabbed my arm and put me in solitary saying I had to stay in there till the kids got back for not taking part. The same stay two days later I was put in solitary because I was crying because I was homesick. My mom lost custody to my dad for a few years so the psych ward stays stopped. But once she got me back at 16 the stays started up again. On one stay I was shown my room and 5 minutes later two staff rushed in, pushed me face first over my bed, bent my right arm behind my back and forced it up toward my neck and began removing my laces. They didn’t even give me the option to hand them over willingly. The second stay was one of the worst. And is where my spinal injury happened. I was crying and wanted to go home. The male staff member grabbed me and threw me to the floor, then put his knee on my spine and applied his full body weight. After a series of cracks I was in severe pain and couldn’t move. He had paralyzed me. I was screaming in pain when they ordered me to stand up and go to solitary. I told him I couldn’t move. So they each grabbed me by my arms and physically dragged me down the hall to solitary and put me in restraints. I was then kept sleep 24/7 for a week with thorazine shots. The moment staff saw I was awake they injected me again. Which turned out to be a good thing my doctor said as it’s probably why I can walk today. The pain has remained and I will be on pain meds for the pain for life, and the injury caused nerve damage making me incontinent and will need to wear diapers for the remainder of my life as well. Later in the same stay when I was finally allowed to be awake I had a call from my mom and broke down crying. I just wanted to go to my room and cry but the staff member said I had to go to solitary till I calmed down. He grabbed me and pushed me in. He left me in the room overnight with the lights off so when the sun went down it was pitch black. And was freezing cold. I have been terrified of the dark since that night. I have to have a lamp on 24/7. As a adult the abuse in psych wards have continued. I refused a strip search calmly when I was 21. I had worked at the hospital as a security guard and knew the staff member was gay and so didn’t feel comfortable being naked in front of him so requested another staff member. He came back with 2 staff and put me in restraints and left me in them for 14 hours straight. And 2 hours into it changed my diaper against my will. But left me with a chux pad as a diaper which didn’t hold anything so when he realized it leaked he just left me like that. I spent 10 hours laying in a pool of urine. I spent a total of 14 hours in restraints. Another stay the staff member bent my arm behind my back and up toward my neck with such force it pulled all the muscles in my shoulder and I needed my arm in a sling for 10 days. I stay the heck as far away from psych wards as possible. Seems to always end in being abused to some degree. Even the ER has been abusive. I was in the ER and had a panic attack. The guard put me in restraints over it and instead of even doing it the right way with your arms to your side, he purposely made it painful as he said he would “If I put you in restraints you won’t like it”. He pulled my left arm over my head and pulled it tight to the head of the bed and pulled my right arm tight toward the foot of the bed so my arms were basically being pulled in opposite directions. He was right, it was quite painful. I was left like that for four hours. And have the pictures on my cell to prove it. I reported it and nothing was done. As always. Not one incident of my abuse was ever done anything about. My advice, stay away from psych wards as best you can.

• April 23, 2016 at 2:38 pm

You hang in there. I remember being admitted, although not quite the search you had. It was a time when I was around like minded people. People that really understood me. I remember the phone at the end of the hall and the doc i worked for called after i had my husband tell him i was not coming back – he chewed me out for not doing it myself…. like …. duh…. he knew where I was… not compassion. But I survived and I learned I didn’t have to take crap from anyone. There are positives in being an In Patient. I grew in many ways and I’m confident that you have also. good luck with your meds. love hugs and blessings. Maggie

• April 25, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I have been in four different psych wards/hospitals and I have never been mistreated. They varied in how therapeutic they were but they were all humane. Some had educational groups while others were primarily custodial. They all achieved the same goal, keeping me safe until I could do it for myself.

• May 31, 2016 at 11:52 am

I have been in and out of psych units for 35 years since my early teens. It has gotten worse over the years. I have PTSD from the hospitals, (as well as abuse). I have many nightmares about them and flashbacks and negative self beliefs. It is pathetic that in an effort to get help one is further traumatized. My last stay included a strip search that I still relive intrusively. I’m sorry that you had to endure it. Hope you are feeling better.