6 thoughts on “The Truth About Male Depression

• October 24, 2013 at 11:54 am

This is very stereotypical.

Many men could experience depression in much the same way as women – it’s simply wrong to make these assumptions about the behaviour of males vs. females in depression.

• October 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Perhaps it should have been worded differently. Actually I see a lot of my husband in this. He’s a “tough guy” and denies having any problems. Yet he barely ever leaves the house, blames me for everything, with back and shoulder pain, fatigue, low motivation, and spends as much time as possible online with friends playing games. He isolates himself. But he refuses to get help and insists he is not depressed and it’s ridiculous that I feel that way. This behavior is going on nine years now, with no hope for change in sight.

So, this really fits my husband.

But, that doesn’t mean it will fit all men. Just like I am ultradian cycler so people with “classic” bipolar enjoy telling me I must have BPD instead since my bipolar looks different than theirs. It’s just good info to have that sometimes depression doesn’t look the way you might expect.

• October 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

This is a well-written article. I particularly liked the part where the fact that depression is an illness, and not a sign of weakness is mentioned. It could be this very misconception, that depression is a “weakness” and not an illness that contributes to depression being under diagnosed among men. We, as a society, need to tear down the stigma surrounding depression so people don’t feel as though they have to suffer without help.
    There are several home treatments that people with depression can use to help alleviate their depression. One such treatment is aerobic exercise, which includes jogging, cycling, and swimming. Aerobic exercise increases our arousal level and therefore offsets the low energy level that can accompany depression. It can also increase the production of mood-boosting chemicals in our brain, including endorphins and serotonin (Jacobs, 1994; Salmon, 2001). Studies have suggested that, in addition to being as potent as drugs in relieving negative emotions, aerobic exercise can actually be better at preventing their reappearance (Babyak et al., 2000; Salmon, 2001).
    I sincerely hope that anyone reading this article that has depression receives the proper help they need, whether that is medicine or a home treatment.

_____________________________________________________
    I am a psychology enthusiast who has spent MONTHS now gathering and consolidating facts from many different sources on various aspects of psychology. I plan on managing a twitter account soon that will provide facts about psychology and ourselves as human beings in a fun, easy to understand way that will appeal to a general audience (while still remaining true to psychology’s roots). Be sure to keep an eye out for me in the coming weeks.

• October 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

Michelle,

Thanks for an excellent article and for citing my work. Since the book on Male Menopause was written, The Irritable Male Syndrome: Understanding and Managing the 4 Key Causes of Depression and Aggression. I also have developed a questionnaire for more accurately diagnosing depression in men. If you, or your readers, would like to see the new information, feel free to contact me at http://www.MenAlive.com or write me, Jed@MenAlive.com (be sure an respond to my spam filter if you’re not on my mailing list).

• October 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Guys can act both ways. I am a woman and I had depression I did not avoid conflict… I created it, very aggressively. I was not weak, I was angry and forceful. I did not think I was weak I did not preceive myself as weak and I did not act weak. I was a force to be reckoned with and I was loud and ever present. I knew I needed help and was repeatedly blown off or thrown on meds that caused more problems than they helped by several different doctors. I have known many men whose depression symptoms were actual symptoms, withdrawl, silence, saddness, isolation, pretty much the full womens list.. you can not make blanket statements about genders and be right. Chemical imbalances cause depression more often then not and sometimes that imbalance causes gender opposing behavior… I’m not a psych… I am just sick to death of watching pyschs over medicate children and adults and throw drugs at everything. You people have hit the point of becoming nothing but glorified drug dealers who will say whatever you have to to push the drugs you get the biggest kickbacks for. Regardless of proper dosage or who you hurt doing it. Who puts a 5 year old on 30 mil of adderal? Psychs do..all the time.

• November 10, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks for highlighting this problem. Statistics say women suffer more from depression than men, but they’re more likely to seek treatment – so who knows. One serious cause of depression in men is codependency – also not talked about much for men, and it often looks different, like stoicism, denial of needs, and workaholism. They comply, lash out, or withdraw, rather than assert themselves. For more on this see http://www.whatiscodependency.com/dilemmas-of-codependent-men
    Darlene Lancer, LMFT
    Author of “Codependency for Dummies”
    whatiscodependency.com