8 thoughts on “Autism and Friendships Part 3: Adding Color to your Spectrum

• August 29, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Thank you for your really great collection of articles. I have ADHD and potentially PDD-NOS (though I only had a doctor hazard a guess on that,) but I see so much of myself and my struggles in all that you have shared. I definitely am NOT neurotypical and although I am glad, there are days when I do wish I understood everyone else. I spent much of my life not knowing that I wasn’t neurotypical and I couldn’t really figure out why I wasn’t motivating (when I was a manager) and I couldn’t understand what motivated others seeing intrinsic flaws in their character. Sadly, because of illness and reaching out for counseling, discovered at 38 I had ADHD and later because of additional illness and finally finding a doctor who treats people with extreme allergies, stumbled on to the fact that I am not neuro-typical and I have all the genetic and related health conditions to prove it. It makes me sad I didn’t know sooner where I could have had help, where my parents could have been educated in how to parent me (they weren’t bad parents, just psychologically and behaviorally ignorant.) It would have been nice NOT having to learn everything by bumbling about but as you stated, we are survivors. I am glad I am a person who can’t lie very well (although, I am quite good and omitting things,) it’s true I can never remember what I may have said if it wasn’t the truth. I can appreciate this about myself. I am glad for the fact that I value things differently than others who just have to ‘have, have, have’ or their life isn’t complete. I love and I am grateful for it. I am overly sensitive though. Not the best coping skills. I have embraced the ‘oooo shiny’ in me and have applied it to all those NOT neuro-typical. I have even walked up to people and stated, “you’re shiny, aren’t you”? Always very excited to meet another like myself and I can seemingly always spot my own kind. We do have an extra special glow. THANK YOU!

• August 29, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I’m going to email you. Thank you for this. <3

• November 4, 2018 at 11:20 pm

I just discovered a few weeks ago that I am allergic to gluten, beef, pork, egg, dairy, and nuts.

I can’t stop thinking about your sentence, “We do have an extra special glow.” I know what you mean. Really. Literally.

• August 30, 2018 at 7:01 pm

This one moved me to tears.

• August 31, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Unapologetically Aspie, your blog will soon be added to our Actually Autistic Blogs List (anautismobserver.wordpress.com). Please click on the “How do you want your blog listed?” link at the top of that site to customize your blog’s description on the list (or to decline).
    Thank you.
    Judy (An Autism Observer)

• September 29, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Still ruminating. My beautiful grandson diagnosed with AS, however lives with a family of pigs.
    Where do I go from here?

Informative prospective.

• September 29, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Where do I go from here?

Informative prospective.

• September 30, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Hi, and thank you for reading the article. As an aspie, I’m not sure if you’re being rhetorical with your question, haha. But, feel free to contact me if you’d like to chat about your grandson or need to be plugged into some resources, and I’ll be happy to help.