12 thoughts on “The 3 Senses You Never Knew Existed… But You Should!

• March 6, 2019 at 10:28 am

What a game changer this information is! I’ve never heard of hyper sensitivity before and now my lifetime of “weird” behaviors make perfect sense. As does that of my husband. Thanks so much for the article!

• March 6, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. This all made so much sense for me, too. I actually felt shame about a lot of things, thinking that I had some personality defects and not realizing the very real, neurological/medical foundation of my “weird” behaviors/traits/needs.

• March 6, 2019 at 11:52 am

Very helpful article. It helped me understand some of my sensory experiences and gave practical advice on dealing with them.

• March 6, 2019 at 12:03 pm

Thank you so much for your gracious comment. It is always so meaningful to hear that something I’ve shared has been helpful to someone. Learning about these sensory systems was a real game-changer for me. The 25-lb. weighted blanket has kept me from startling awake all the time.

• March 6, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Hello, this article and I find it extremely interesting. Do you have any tests to apply? I would very much like to do it. Thank you

• March 8, 2019 at 7:47 am

Thank you for your article. I (age 45) have progressive ideopathic neuronopathy and poor proprioception as a consequence. The article helps me to explain what it means to live with my condition, as it is very uncommon.

• March 10, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Iris, thank you so much for your comment. I, too, have some unexplained peripheral neuropathy, and it has definitely added to my proprioceptive deficits (which have always been there). I hope that this will help you to validate how real your struggles are to those having trouble empathizing with your invisible illness. Sometimes, the pain of not being believed is worse than the condition itself.

• March 10, 2019 at 8:52 am

This article was eye-opening for me. I have very poor balance, I can’t “feel” where my body is when lying in bed, i.e. I think I’m laying perfectly straight, then my husband looks at me and tells me I’m all crooked with hips twisted, arms akimbo, head tilted.

Also a big one – when I am holding car keys, sunglasses, and cell phone in one hand I can’t feel what’s there. I have to look at my hand in order to release an item. I have held & looked at a nail polish bottle, then walked out of the store with it still in my hand. (Of course I go back in and apologize.) I don’t feel the contents of my hand.

When I lay down on the bed or get up from the bed, I get a dizzy sensation and have to sit still, and I see strobe-like images on the wall.

I will be asking my doctor some questions – thanks very much.

• March 10, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for your comment! Yes, you sound very similar to me. I also constantly find myself searching for the thing I am holding in my hand because I don’t realize I’m holding it. Similarly, I drop small objects constantly. I’ve also broken things because I’m apparently not very aware of the amount of force I’m putting on them (like twisting a lid onto a jar so hard that I broke the glass. I do get dizzy and see the strobes all the time, and it’s worse in the morning.

I can guarantee, unless you’re living in a large city, you will have a very hard time finding a doctor who is aware of these sensory systems and how profoundly they affect someone. Sensory Processing Disorder is something that is only tacked on to a diagnosis and not added on to other diagnoses, and it affects all of the senses, your physical health, and your emotional/mental health. All doctors know that it is very real, but they treat the symptoms in a vacuum. There were so many things I left out of the article in the interest of time, but there might be other things explained that help those idiosyncrasies to “click” for you.

If you’d like to email me at lynchburgcp [ at ]gmail.com, I can offer you some guidance about how you might approach a doctor. Problems can definitely worsen with age, too.

Again, thank you for your comment. It means a lot to hear that something I’ve written has been helpful to someone.

• April 2, 2019 at 12:12 pm

OMG it all connects to the big 3 of touch, smell and space in the universe.. I wish to speak to the this person because I KNOW what it is all due to. It is the PURPOSE OF LIFE indeed. I has to do with Halo indeed. and earth, water and fire .my email is jbfdw1956@gmail.com. PLEASE

• April 2, 2019 at 12:15 pm

yes AUTISM type was my past and I know the cause that is why you HAVE to contact me Please