6 thoughts on “Part 1: The Nature of Empathy – A Case Study

• October 24, 2018 at 11:20 am

Linda is encapsulated in a spell (for want of a better description), Elise does not share that perspective. Linda cannot see outside of the bubble of reality she has created for herself, Elise is outside of Linda’s bubble and can see a bigger picture consisting of many dimensions of thought not catered for within Linda’s bubble.
    For me Elise is the wise one who can consider information not limited to her preconceived understanding. Elise has the bigger picture which in this case includes a view of a manipulating mechanism commonly used by tricksters to gain influence that has been deployed and has contaminated the thought processes Linda uses to make judgements. Elise can point to the trick but Linda’s “superior” intellect can justify or dismiss out of hand anything she wants (Lazy thinking).

• October 26, 2018 at 8:26 pm

I was looking for info and insight to help the children I work with. Instead I got a political commercial! No need to say more.

• October 27, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Jeanne, as an aspie, I would like to appeal to your empathy and ask that you consider reading through the rest of the series. Part 2 is already posted, and part 3 will be posted within the next few hours. I would love to know if your thoughts changed at all after reading those.

-Terra

• October 27, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Also, thank you for doing research to try and help your students. I believe if you will forebear the political nature of the case study, you will learn a lot. You and I share the common goal of wanting to help people on the autism spectrum (to help all people, really). You do not owe me your trust, but I would like to ask to borrow some based on your goodwill. I believe that you will understand Asperger’s better than through a more typical type of article if you can give the series a chance to unfold. Empathy is an extremely complicated subject, and it is best understood in steps. The case study design required a topic that would address multiple nuanced empathic responses, and so the political nature of the post was a necessary evil.

• November 4, 2018 at 12:30 pm

I just want to say thank you so much for those posts. I am young adult and I was recently diagnosed (by a professional )with Asperger (personal quest of mine), but (maybe because of my personal background or personality) I was struggling to accept it or maybe see for myself how Asperger is perceived…it is the scenario I have known all my life with my parents (im an only child), and I have been too scared to show others people how I am to fear to feel the same rejection or misunderstanding or any unpleasant thing really… It is horrible and so stressful not knowing if (or even how) people will take everything the wrong way every single time you open your mouth or write something. Anyway, it is the first time I really connected to a post about autism (and I read a lot about the subject even part 2 and 3 of the post) so thank you. I just wish i could express my comment better since English is not my first language.

• December 10, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Amy, your comment was expressed perfectly. I know how you feel. Not knowing how people feel, and not being able to coax them to tell you because they don’t like saying things directly makes social interaction so difficult. I find that people read me differently than my true intentions all the time, and they don’t believe me when I explain that their perception of me was incorrect.

Thank you so much for reading. I’m glad you got the diagnosis you were seeking!