18 thoughts on “Increasing Hope for the Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder

• October 11, 2009 at 11:56 pm

DBT has helped me immensely w/my bipolar 1 disorder. I may have borderline, but I asked my T to not put it on my ins. form as an exploratory dx due to the stigma involved w/borderline. But the dx doesn’t matter to me as much as how helpful DBT has been for me. My medications have been able to be reduced & some eliminated after employing the DBT techniques.

• March 11, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I am studying treatment options for BPD and would love to know what else you have published or what literary resources you currently refer to. Thanks!

• May 2, 2010 at 12:29 am

i have been in therapy for 15 yrs and have tried all the behavioral therapies medications holistic treatment etc…and i am aware now alot of BPD is an emotion regulation brain glitch…what other treatments have come available?…my family suffers and this is unfair to them…i am very open minded…surgical procedures??…

• November 26, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Insight into your emotions and your ability to self calm is important. I teach my students to meditate and visualize their ability to calm. Notice your breathing and if it rapid and shallow change it to slow and deep. Accupressure can also help you self calm. Diet is also now evidenced base for neuron health. We need more Omega 3, B vitamins, A, Zinc, half your weight in water as your kidneys, lungs and skin loose 5 cups a day of water. Get plenty of rest. Maintain a constant state of Peace and Tranquility and allow your Amygdala to process your emotions daily so as not to get caught up in the basal ganglia or habit brain. Meditation grows brain cells. Look up the David Lynch foundation under research. UC Davis and even Harvard offer research on all of this.

• April 28, 2011 at 6:22 pm

How does one get a BPD to acknowledge their illness? I am “with” a highly intelligent but extremely inept and volatile bully who thinks that his genius in electronics makes him god in all. He denies reality of events, rewrites them to exonerate his nasties and blames me instead.
    How to get thru to him that what happened really did happen. Thank you.

• May 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm

@Madeleine: Our book has some ideas about communicating with those who have BPD. However, it simply isn’t always possible to “get through to them” as much as you’d like. I wish there was magic for handling problems like this!

• April 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I need more detailed advice about how to get a BPD who is also OCD to acknowledge the illness and seek help. My mother in law (so cliche!) is tempermental, controlling, unpredictable and suicidal, and her husband is an academic who will say anything she wants to keep her quiet. She has excommunicated all her children because they refuse to agree to her demands on how to live their lives, but the lack of communication makes her more crazy. She won’t take drugs because she says that they make her fat. HELP PLEASE!!

• April 18, 2012 at 10:12 am

@Daughter in Law: I recommend you seek professional help for ideas on how to deal with the situation; it just can’t be done via the Internet. In addition, consider reading Stop Walking on Eggshells.

• February 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m a 43 yo female and have struggled with, depression, suicidal ideations and every other symptom of BPD. I’m an RN and have handled/coped with life, a husband and 3 children(ages 20, 18, 16). However, in the last 2 yrs I have been experiencing increased rage and anger. My children are the objects of my intense and quick rage; often manifested in screaming about situations that are not life threatening. I overreact.
    My insurance will not pay for any help or therapy. I am in need of help, therapy and am open to participating in a study or whatever you may have to offer. Please help.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

My 15 y/o daughter has all the signs of BPD. She’s been on ADHD meds since 2nd grade. Signs of OCD and social difficulties were attributed ADHD. Group therapy never helped. Three years ago at age 12 she was hospitalized for anorexia. Intense therapy and prozac seemed to help. One year later she was hospitalized for depression and again 9 moths after that. We are struggling to help her. She is now on 125 mg of Lomictol, 100mg Geodon and still no relief. Impulsive/risky behaviors, depression, suicidal thoughts and anxiety continue. School social worker suggested we get second opinion for BPD. How do I find specialists in my area (Northern Virginia near DC) that diagnose and treat BPD? What medications may help? What is the name of your book referenced in the blog? Do you have any suggested reading on BPD? Can you offer me hope….please…that my daughter can be helped!!! Are there summer programs that could help her? All traditional camps would be too risky. Are there support group for parents/families? This is very hard on us as parents and on her siblings. Frankly, I’m exhausted!!

• May 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Get a second opinion and better evaluation. She may have PTSD or other cognitive issues. Being on medicine since she was 2 may also be the problem. No kid that young needs ADHD medicine. That is a parenting issue. Unfortunately we live in western medicine that give a pill for everything and ignores behavioral and family dynamics. She’s also a teenager, so some of it may be completely normal. She’s also of the age to begin taking herself seriously and begin changing herself for the better. Please be sure she is in therapy.

• May 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I am at my wits end! I have a sister-in-law that seems to think I am her whipping post! My Mother-in-law and I were (she passed in Feb 2012)very close for 35 years until her death. At the family get togethers we walked on egg shells (and still do). We never know what will set her off! The family have knots in their stomachs before a get together. We WAIT for the other shoe to drop. She is not remorseful in anyway, as you say she stays very angry for a long time. I thought she was Bipolar, but This BPD IS HER TO A T!!! She doesn’t think she needs counseling. She’s divorced, her kids are on their own and she has a great job with wonderful Ins. How do we help her? If the family tells her we’re Done, She has NO ONE! Please Help!!

• May 30, 2014 at 9:04 pm

My son-in-law may have BPD. Five months ago, we had an argument, and he has totally forbidden that I see my two grandchildren. I am not allowed to see them at their residence (which I own along with my sister), at my house, or in public. Tomorrow is my grandson’s first birthday, and I am not allowed to go to the house for the party. This has put a strain on my parents, who are 84 and 83, my sister and her family, as well as myself. To punish me, he is punishing the entire family. I feel betrayed by my family because they are walking on eggshells so as to not upset him. Holidays are now nonexistent in our family. He tells everyone he is “not ready yet” when referring to getting over our argument and allowing me to see the children. I feel that, by my family members enabling him, he will never get over it. I am seeing a therapist every week, and she is trying to help me, but my family feels that I am to blame, and that in time, everything will be okay.

Any thoughts or advice, as well as experiences that you could share would be greatly appreciated. Before our argument, we got along fine, and holidays included four generations. I was blessed, but now I feel cursed.

Thanks so much.

🙁 Miss My Grandkids

• April 27, 2018 at 7:38 am

I have been diagnosed with BPD. I would love to go to group therapy but its too far away. I have good insurance but my town does not have group therapy for anything but AA. If you ever offer anything I could attend I would gladly and greatfully go.I am miserable.

• April 29, 2018 at 5:45 pm

I have adult family members who both parents were diagnosed with some levels of bpd. I also was raised with 2 siblings who were extremely arrogant and doing drugs and eventually were schizophrenic, and another sib who was ADHD, violent for years. They didn’t get enough discipline from parents, and I fell through many cracks of chronic and deep ridicule and intimidation to much of all forms of abuse for many years by sibs. Needless to say, I’ve suffered pretty severe C-PTSD, a lifetime of flashbacks, times of panic attacks, and anxiety and adrenal fatigue issues. I’ve had years of therapies, and 15 yrs ago, a EMDR treatment was quite helpful. I still can see triggers occurring when around family~ some I’ve learned to “accept” when they occur and silently ride them out. I’ve also grown stronger boundaries which can help me clarify situations. But had felt for at least a decade or more that CBT could’ve helped me significantly. I don’t believe there is any in my area, but would be willing to drive some distance. Hoping insurance could help also.

• March 14, 2019 at 11:24 am

I attempted suicide in october 16th 2018, I am being pushed to do DBT. But enjoyed doing one to one CBT which they wont allow me.
    DBT is about the now and the future, how is that going to help me after my serious attempt, ending up with open heart surgery??