Comments on
OCD Thoughts: Seriously?…Really?

Laura and I sometimes amuse ourselves by noticing how language and expressions gradually morph over time. For example, have you ever taken note of how often people preface something they’re about to say with the single word,

6 thoughts on “OCD Thoughts: Seriously?…Really?

• March 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I read the article and was kind of disappointed at the end when the picture of the lady at the beginning was not really Laura. I knew a girl named Laura once too.. go figure. The teasing sentence about the way language changes caught my eye as well.

But regarding the comment about thoughts at the end of the article… I have heard the opposite too. When people say: “thoughts are things and they create.” and “thoughts are vibrational energy.” So my question is- how can we be sure that thoughts don’t cause things to happen? (and that’s just scraping the surface. I would like to write about one of the things that bothers me alot about even responding to something like this. But I better not because what if it would actually come to pass in only one instance! or several instances. The complete havock that could be wrecked would be a hassle at the least.)

I have OCD btw (go figure) but i definitely do not wear it like a badge. Although it has interfered significantly with my social and occupational functioning and i’m in my mid 40’s. And I’m not ‘turned on by growing old’ like that John Denver song “Poems Prayers and Promises”.

I would like to believe that you create your world by your thoughts, and i do believe that… and yet here you are saying thoughts don’t cause outside events to happen. So I’m not sure.

• March 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm

@J.Lane: There’s just not been any clear, scientific evidence that thoughts can change much of anything in the outside world. However, actions do. And “realistic” thoughts may help you make decisions about what good actions you can take.

• March 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Interesting article. I have to say though, out of own experience since I have been diagnosed OCD that I just wish it was like you say it is. OCD is an anxiety issue you can not control on your own just by mot giving importance to it. You do rituals to relieve the anxiety and bad thoughts are just related. Catching a bad disease if you dont wash your hands all the time, that something bad will happen if you dont do this an that, etc. are thoughts you can not just overpllay. I know hiw stupid the thoughts I have are and how irrational my rituals are but I would be really dumb if I hadnt tried to ‘just ignore it’ before. Fact is you get a panic outburst if you dont. Its compulsive actions that relieve the stress and anxiety and the only way to stop is with proper treatment. It is nearly impopssible to beat such thing, a biological illbess just by trying to outlogic it. You wont be curing cancer ir AIDS that way either right? For those who do not suffer OCD it is almost impossible imagine the living hell it makes out of your life and therefor hard to understand the pain and hard time it puts the persin through. Its more than just annoying, At times I even tried to knock me out to stop doiong these rituals but I would just go on and on and on. Its not that easy. OCD is often related to above-average intelligence and that should prove my point. 🙂

• March 31, 2012 at 10:25 am

@Dom: Thanks much for providing clarification of an issue that I realize could have been misconstrued. I did not mean to imply that the ideas in the blog are anywhere near a complete treatment strategy for OCD. But given it could be viewed that way, I appreciate your thoughts!

• May 8, 2013 at 3:24 am

As a sufferer of OCD for over 6 years, and one who has managed to overcome a significant portion of this debilitating disorder I am concerned that the author may not fully understand the completely inability for an OCD sufferer to differentiate their thoughts from reality. attempting to say “you know, my thoughts just don’t matter” doesn’t work in the world of OCD. you will undoubtedly be pulled back into the vicious loop of uncertainty and self questioning which is what we as OCD sufferers need to strive to defeat. the ONLY way I have discovered to defeat these thoughts is to completely accept them as well as their outcomes. We need to tell ourselves “yea I guess that could happen to me” and then move on with our lives. Attempting to label our thoughts as worthless and meaningless just doesn’t work

• April 8, 2019 at 3:57 am

i find quite the opposite, caling thought ‘bunkum’ helps