9 thoughts on “Media Exploitation of Everyone’s OCD Concerns

• October 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Don’t you think there is a fine line between a “clean-freak” type personality and OCD cleaning behaviors? I think if you can disguish between the two and it doesn’t effect your life on a daily basis you don’t have OCD. I also think it can progress from “clean-freak” to OCD. Your article was dead-on when it comes to over sanitizing. Good information!

• October 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I often think about those with OCD when I hear these sensationalized reports on television……talk about triggers!
    Thanks for a great article.

• October 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I hate my ocd!
    Ive tried all kinds of treatment.
    The only thing that helps me is talking to people I can relate to. Ive met people on websites like nolongerlonely, mapofmates, and different forums.
    It feels good to not being alone, but i wish there was a cure for me.

• October 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

I’m glad that helps you. But if you haven’t tried exposure and response prevention, look into it. Even if you’ve tried it once, you might try again…

• October 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Much agreed [coming from an RN]. You forgot to add how our paranoia and overuse of antibacterials destroys all of the good bacteria that is helpful to us and creates superbugs. Overuse of antibacterials can also cause increased dryness and cracked skin that can further increase one’s susceptibility to infection.

Thanks for the great article.

• December 13, 2011 at 7:45 am

Doesn’t everyone have ocd in some form or another? Perhaps I’m bias on a personal level because I have been diagnosed ocd, but to have the tag seems to bring out more ocd behavior. Maybe I am a mild case, but certainly the gambler displays ocd in his habits. Or the train enthusiast could be ocd because he has a collection of trains. Or the stamp collector has ocd because he has notebook full of stamps. I am very unclear about the the issue, too many people look like they have a form of ocd in one shape or another. As always, I am thankful for the time and research taken to write a post… but my skin is crawling over this one. Thanks anyway though, happy holidays.

• December 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

@Magnet: Actually, most so-called normal people demonstrate elements of various types of emotional disorders, but usually in fairly mild, benign ways. OCD is similar in the sense that yes, many people have elements, fragments, or mild signs of the problem. And it can be a fine line sometimes. But the bottom line is how much the “signs” seem to disrupt a person’s life. For example, it’s not really OCD if a person truly enjoys having a few collections, but the collecting doesn’t crowd out normal living or take up huge amounts of living space and time. I wish these distinctions could be made with absolute clarity, but sometimes the lines are a bit fuzzy.