10 thoughts on “Days I Feel Like a Bad Mom

• December 7, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Amanda, thank you so much for writing this. I feel like you are inside my brain. Friday morning I am always thinking about how much stuff we are going to get done over the weekend, how many memories we will make with our 3 boys. But usually it’s just getting through, eating/dishes, eating/dishes, fussy baby, hectic sleep routine, kids running crazy. I chalk my domestic fantasies up to Pinterest and try to soldier on. I am saving your words to read again. It helps me feel that I am not alone in this.

• May 25, 2017 at 12:44 am

Hey there,

May 2017 now And to be honest i didn’t even pay attention to when you wrote your blog entry… obviously around Christmas. I just wanted to say thank you for feeling the way i feel. It really helps to know that I’m not alone in constantly worrying about screwing my kid up. I had a panic attack tonight about my daughter refusing to go to bed and i was having a bit of a pity party once she finally caved. Keep up the good work mama… sounds like you’re a wonderful mom.

– Alex

• August 11, 2017 at 12:43 am

Wow I breathed in a huge sigh of relief after reading your honest article. Thank you for being real and putting yourself out there. I am not alone! I get such anxiety when things aren’t going right. I giggled reading your thought bubble about your perfect Christmas decorating evening and how it turned out because it seemed like every perfect weekend that I had planned and it’s outcome! I laughed because I’m not alone and in reading it it made me smile realizing how we build things up too much, almost for failure because these kids who haven’t been on the planet very long and are more like wild animals are wrecking out Norman Rockwell picturesque life! Kinda ridiculously funny our fantasies about child rearing and being a mommy:) anyways I thank you so much for being an open book as it made me and others feel a little more normal:)

• May 14, 2018 at 5:30 am

Wow so much time has passed since you posted this yet it’s so relatable to how I’ve been feeling. I have 3 boys and sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to have them. They are amazing little beings, but I often wonder if I’m the one screwing them up. I am a stay at home mom and I should have it all together since I’m home. Yet I feel like your post every day, not just on weekends. Thank you for not letting me feel alone.

• July 3, 2018 at 10:52 pm

You are not alone. I feel like this all day every day.

• August 7, 2018 at 12:14 pm

OMG so glad I am not the only one.

• September 8, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Thank you Amanda. I needed to read this because I was feeling like a terrible mother for being so tough on my daughter who’s only 5. My heart was crushed and all that you said foes through my mind every day. I only have 1 child and it should be so much easier but I feel like a failure. But after reading your post it made me feel better knowing that it’s so stressful evacuee you card so much. Hope I can relax a bit more so I won’t relax the guilt. Thank you

• September 11, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Hello :-). This is Amanda. Since I don’t write for Psych Central anymore, I can’t log in as the author, but it’s me!

Anyway, I just wanted to say, please never say I’m a mom to just one kid. That’s one person who is wholly dependent upon you for nearly everything. No “just” about it – that is a huge undertaking, and the world will thank you for all the concern you put into it because surely that will enable you to launch forth a remarkable young adult one day.

This job of ours is so hard. Give yourself grace. Your child will see not only how you forgive her but how you forgive yourself. What a blessing THAT is for her – a model of true self forgiveness. But that isn’t easy, is it?

Hang in there mama. You aren’t alone. Moms have been feeling guilty for centuries. We are good at it. But I have a hunch you are a great mom and are succeeding way more than you are failing.

I don’t write for PC anymore, but you can catch me on my personal blog, http://www.indisposablemama.com

Best wishes!!

• November 5, 2018 at 6:40 pm

This was everything i needed to hear. Im not alone. Thank you. I literally burst into tears. Thank you for being honest.

• November 7, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Thank you for your comment. It’s been awhile since I wrote this, but sadly I still feel like this too often. I think we all do. Hang in there though, Mama. You are the mother your child need.