7 thoughts on “Some Brains Just Don’t Want to Memorize Times Tables

• May 11, 2010 at 2:13 am

Malcolm Gladwell also talked about the difference between Western children learning maths and Asian children in his book Outliers. It would seem the Asian way of teaching maths makes more sense than the Western way. The would teach 11 as 10 and 1 so it is already broken up. Have you looked at the difference between Western and Asian maths tutoring?

• May 12, 2010 at 1:54 pm

17-8=9 /!! I think this was typed in wrong in your article. So either the problem is wrong, or your explanation.

• May 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for catching the typo, Josette! I have fixed it. But even this shows how confusing subtraction is!

• February 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

There are many kids struggle with the multiplication table. For my child Math Skill Builder works pretty well.

They do tracking for each fact, do review for them. It helps to memorize perfectly. Even if it is hard for your child to memorize the tables, it will take a little bit more time.

• December 13, 2017 at 11:42 am

Just allow me to share this good news about multiplication facts: If you google “handy book of multiplication table”, you will find a book with powerful finger techniques that enable kids (adults too) to master all the times table quickly and without memorization. When you find it, don’t keep the “secret”. Spread it and help others that are still struggling to memorize the multiplication facts. I hope to have helped some.

• January 11, 2018 at 6:31 am

Thanks for suggesting the book. I have ordered it.

• December 10, 2018 at 10:04 am

I homeschool my son and he is the same way. He can understand advanced math but struggled with multiplying. I think he always will. I don’t let that hold him back. He also has dysgraphia. I don’t let that hold him back either. Let’s face it, can I fix a car? No. We all have our blind spots.