- Does my child have a quiet place to study?
- Does my child have adequate time to study? Do extra-curricular activities hinder study time?
- Do I check my child’s assignment notebook daily?
- Am I available to assist my child when needed?
- Do I ask my child how things are going at school and enter into discussions with my child about what he/she is learning?
- Do I ensure a consistent homework routine at home?
- When questions or problems arise, do I contact the teacher?
As kids mature, they naturally want to do more on their own. Sometimes their independence is warranted, yet often they’re not quite ready for 100% autonomy. I’m sure there are some elementary students who don’t need their homework checked each night, and I can think of many high school students who still do!
Students, parents and educators: Please sign up for Learning Something New, my free newsletter containing articles, videos, study tips and food for thought about learning better and living better, delivered to your inbox 2-3 times each month.
Photo by Nationaal Archief