In my summer class, Making and Breaking Habits, we brainstormed a list of self-control strategies, including:
- Don’t study in your bedroom! Yes, it’s private, but it’s also full of temptations such as toys, video games and your nice, cozy bed. Students should be working at the dining room table (typically a big, bare table in an under-used room).
- Plan your day, in writing, in advance. Don’t ever be caught thinking, What should I be doing now?…your planner (paper or online) should tell you.
- Make your plans specific. Not Study, but Go through notes and make flash cards for history test.
- Remember to plan the small yet important details, such as Find index cards and put them in back pack.
- Schedule your leisure time, too! What, specifically, in writing, will you do with your free time? Not Relax, but Play new video game from 8-9PM.
Students, parents and educators: Please sign up for Learning Something New, my free newsletter containing articles, videos, study tips and food for thought about learning better and living better, delivered to your inbox 2-3 times each month.