11 thoughts on “Meghan Markle’s Father: A “Toxic” Parent?

• August 13, 2018 at 2:34 pm

This is a very good article in my humble opinion. Not just because everything said about the Duchess of Sussex’s father’s behaviour seems to be very true but also because it is so similar to my own life.
    I would just like to say that I think what hurts me most about having a “toxic” parent, I just say psychologically abusive though, is when you do try to get away for the sake of your own sanity and health and then people who have only heard one side of the story actually go out of their way to judge and intimidate you for your choice.
    My mother is a very “toxic” person towards my sister and I. She also helped to drag my father and his parents into early graves. Somehow she is able to manipulate people into believing that she is a nice person and a victim of everyone else. I feel as if I can’t breathe when people fail to see her selfishness and wickedness for what it is and I think that’s how the Duchess of Sussex must feel when people side with her dad and sister.
    I don’t know if the people who support parents unquestioningly are intellectually challenged, naive or have a self-serving interest in pretending that parents can never do any wrong but I’m fed up of them more than any other aspect of it because the social stigma of “abandoning” one’s parent no matter how negative their presence is, is what ultimately stops many people from escaping.
    Toxic parents can kill literally and figuratively and I just wish that people would stop equating claims of psychological abuse with spoiled children who can’t get the latest gadget. It’s not the same at all and I think that it’s a form of abuse too.

• August 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Hello. I completely understand what you’re saying; and I’m glad you can relate to my article.

Given that your issue was with your mother, do read the article I mentioned there: “Not All Mothers are Loving & Kind.” And it’s true: Many who have happy, loving families, loving parents…it’s hard for them to comprehend, and they want to find fault with you. But they don’t know your story. They don’t see it. They think, “How can you feel that way? He/She is your parent, your mother, your father!! How dare you think to ‘abandon’ your mother/father!!?” etc.

I hear you. You are not alone.

Thank you for writing! Protect your space and your spirit. Step away from the toxic, abusive energy. God bless.

• August 14, 2018 at 6:32 am

My mother passed away in 2010 I had not spoken to her in five years. I did attended her funeral where everybody was talking about what a witch she was. Good riddance.

• August 14, 2018 at 8:03 am

I understand. In the article I referenced, I mentioned an obituary re: a Delores Aguilar. Find it in my piece, or online search for it. You may find it interesting and relevant.

Thanks for writing; please share the link to this article about toxic parents on your pages/FB/Tw friends. Thanks.

• January 5, 2019 at 3:53 am

You sound like you are the one with the problem.

• August 14, 2018 at 11:26 am

First of all great article. My mother is a narcissistic and it has affected me a lot. So I agree with some of what you are saying.

However, I think you are completely off base and not looking at this whole situation holistically.

The DM just posted a truth/facts article. You should read it and then change the narrative around. Meghan’s Dad has only done three officil interviews, the rest is speculation.

If anything Meghan is the one who is the classic narcissist. This is evident in how she has to make everything about her, her checking the box, her empowerment, her race, her feminist values. I suspected during their first interview because she came across as very self centered. The I realized that officially at the recent debacle in Ireland. Who actually goes to Ireland and makes comments like about abortion? A narcissistic personality who cares about what they have to say than others people’s feelings.

The way she treated her ex husband and her breakup, her first marriage that ended in annulment which helped put her on the map, after she completely used up her father.

Meghan’s father sacrificed a lot for her. He raised her whole Doria was in prison (all facts). Maybe he did make his own bad choices, but let’s not pretend like Meghan is something she isn’t.

She uses men and people. She has had to do a lot of questionable things to get ahead in life. We all know how Hollywood works and Meg was not raped by Harvey Weinstein.

Meghan is the classic Narcisst if anything. She had no problem praising her father about having his nose, checking the box story, because it’s about “her” having his nose and “her” checking the box.

Also the fact that Meghan refuses to follow royal protocol also shows her narcissism because she knows best.

You only mentions her father when it makes her look. Her whole humanitarian endeavors only consist of about 3 or 4 things she did right before trying to bag Harry.

It was very telling that she has other family members who have not asked for anything. There was the uncle who helped her go to Argentina. Where is Doria’s family? Where were Meghan’s long term friends?

You can make excuses and say it’s the media making her look bad because she’s mixed. But the truth is the majority of people are through Meghan.

She is the narcissist that uses people. She didn’t even bother to offer her father protection and protection from harassment like she did with Doria because she didn’t need her father anymore.

She hires PR that spins the story to make her father look bad and we know for a fact that celebrities do this and PR is a huge business. Plus Diana even told us that the BRF controls the PR about their members which is why we can’t find that videos of Harry and friend dressed like a Nazi and the worst kind of alt righters anymore.

Meghan could stop this anytime she wants. But she is the true narcisst in that she has created this victim narrative in her mind that she Dad harassed her. I’m in reality Thomas has been harrassed by the press with no protection and his own daughter cut him out of her life before he even started going to the press. She was bragging about how much she’s loved him two years ago and never even bothered to have Hary meet her dad?! This was before all these supposed interviews. This was before she froze him out of her life to where he has to go to the press!

I am going to tell you exactly who Meghan is. She is the ungrateful daughter from Imitation of Life. That same narcissist personality and it’s sad because like in that movie when the Mom dies she will regret her choices. And remember how the mom was just trying to contact her daughter who was living a double life? This is the same exact situation but let’s sub race for class and the narrative fits.

That girl from Imitation of Life was a total Selfish narcissist personality.
    She only pretends to be so close with Doria because it’s affirms her blackness as well as makes her look like a good person. True narcissists care more about their status and image than they do their own family members.

Sorry this is so super long but I really feel like this blog post is incredibly bias and you are not showing how narcissist Meghan is. I also feel like you have bought her into narcissistic counter narratives. True narcissists never see that they are wrong but that they are the victim. This is why she ultimately refuses to meet up with her father who just wants to
    talk to her! It’s acrually immature and shows that she is not the sweet, kind humanitarian she claims to be.

I’m thinking you most likely like her a lot which is why you believe the Meghan’s victimization narrative. I understand why you would as a fellow black woman.

If you are going to call Thomas a narcissist then you HAVE to refer to his daughter as one too.

If you don’t believe me to to once.upon.a.royal and look at July 9. Meghan was extremely rude to the reporter because she wouldn’t pay attention to her and then she started being fake and talking down to him.

That is the real Meghan, not this victim narrative you have come up with. Also go read this article that has the facts versus fiction and it will clear up a lot of things.

Peace and blessings and keep up the good fight!

• August 14, 2018 at 6:58 pm

First, thank you. Second, it’s very obvious that your mother’s narcissism has (as you admit) “affected [you] a lot.” You use that word over 13 times. [!?]

Meghan’s social activism began when a pre-teen; she wrote a company to encourage they make the ad not only for women to cook, but that men could do the same. The company changed their ad. She didn’t just get active when dating Harry.

She is a newlywed, married into a family that has been hounded by the press, even contributing to Diana’s death. Her father should have known to not ‘go there.” But it was HE who wanted to “change his image”; Meghan didn’t do that. That father made her journey all about him. It is not, and should not be.

I said nothing about her being mixed; I’m not making excuses for her. I’m observing her father’s antics, causing negative energy in his daughter’s life all because he screwed up [by his own admission].

Meghan’s father (and half-sister) are doing all this bad-mouthing/’talking’ to the press. The media should stop giving him voice. I haven’t read anything where Meghan herself has publicly addressed this, or put this story in the news. Albert Einstein once said, “Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.” I say you can forgive…but still not let someone back into your life when they show their agenda is all about them.

Given your premise that she is such a “narcissist” and not doing right by him; and many other’s view of Thomas, that he is the narcissistic, damaging one in this matter, then again…it’s best she step away. She doesn’t need it; and neither does he. He needs to get on with his own life. Not all relationships have to be forever.

Let this new bride, already under a lot of public pressure, enter her new life and do good works with her hubby without attacks and harassment, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. And if the Royal Family has to secure an attorney, or whatever to stop all this harassment by Thomas Markle, I hope they do.

Again, thanks for your kind words. Take care.

• August 20, 2018 at 12:39 am

Maya
      There is your problem you read garbage (DM) and you believe DM and you take their word as fact then you judge someone based on gossip written by DM. Bases on your writing one can assume that you are a narcissist as well.

• August 14, 2018 at 7:15 pm

I say this article is spot on and gives me barmy. I have a toxic parent, emotionally abusive; and time can’t get here soon enough for this to end. It was so tough but i and my sister had to just walk away so we understand Meghan doing so in like manner.

Duchess Meghan has not publicly addressed this matter to my hearing. So I don’t know what the above commentator is referring to throughout. Her father should just stifle his tongue and stop making a buffoon of himself. Anyone in a new marriage deserves to have room and space to enjoy their new life without crazies trying to interfere, even if a parent. She has enough pressure on her in this world spotlight and she has carried it off perfectly with aplomb. I wish Thomas Markle would stop his folly and that Samantha lass seems most jealous and hateful,indeed. I wish Price Harry and his new bride happiness.

• November 23, 2018 at 7:41 am

Meghan’s father and half-sister are toxic jealous haters; now Jordan Rodgers being toxic against his brother Aaron Rodgers who just donated $1 million dollars to the Chico, CA fire victims. Jordan is wrong.

WHY do people feel to air their family drama (and obvious jealousies) in public and in social media? Obviously there is some family history and drama there; but to slam a good deed such as helping victims of a massive fire that destroyed communities…shame on Jordan Rodgers.

• February 5, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Thomas Markle is toxic. However his children from his first marriage are more toxic than he is. Does he not realize that they are destroying his relationship with Meghan for their own selfish gains!
    It maybe too late to repair the rift with Meghan for good! Thomas also has inferiority complex. His insistence on competing with Doria for Meghan’s attention is a bad move because ultimately Meghan will do what she wants, which is to embrace her mother who is respectful and loving to her, and shun the father who is disrespectful and banding with the hateful half siblings to harass, insult and stalk her.
    The royals would never accept Thomas or his older children because they are toxic, bitter, too loud and opportunistic! Lets face it, there is a reason they are trying so hard to be in Meghan’s life, they want in on the fame, gravy train and what the association with her can do for their own sorry lives.
    MEGHAN SHOULD FORGET ABOUT THE WHOLE LOT. SHE SHOULD JUST CONCENTRATE ON HER MARRIAGE AND KEEP THOSE BABIES COMING. HAVE MORE OF THEM, MAYBE 4. THAT WOULD SHOW DRIVE THE MARKLES GRAZZY, WHICH WOULD BE GOOD!!!