8 thoughts on “5 Signs You’re Being Manipulated

• August 10, 2014 at 4:16 pm

My thought is that if only one side is attempting to resolve a conflict, that’s a red flag. Withdrawing, withholding and denial are not choices made by people wishing to preserve social fabric.

• August 11, 2014 at 10:01 am

i have found that the an insidious form of manipulation is encroachment, the nibbling away at the edges of boundaries, often accompanied by VERIFICATION that the manipulator realizes they are violating a boundary… “i know i am not supposed to bring this up but…!”

• August 11, 2014 at 10:27 am

That’s a good one. Also, I read an article recently about when people will name their faults, but make no attempt to self-correct, i.e. “I have the biggest mouth and really just don’t stop talking when I need to” followed by talking all night. As though awareness cancels out the behavior.

• August 11, 2014 at 10:42 am

I don’t have my own business, but I deal with customers all day in my company. Everyday I come across this situation. If a resounding “no” doesn’t work, I tell them “sure, no problem” then don’t do it. Of course, I’m usually pretty argumentative so it depends on my mood.
    The few smart ones get right off and don’t try again. Most try three or for times before it sinks in.
    The key is recognizing it immediately.

• August 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm

It can be so easy to fall for a loved one’s manipulative behavior, mostly because we never want to assume someone we care about would do that to us. Recognizing the signs and traits of being manipulated can make a world of difference.
    Once you realize you are being manipulated you can often stop the behavior in it’s tracks by setting clear boundaries, and standing firm in your decisions. You can’t change a person, but sometimes they will realize that you are not someone that will fall for their tricks anymore, and they might shape up around you. At the very least you can cultivate a higher level of self respect.

• August 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

With what I’ve been going thru lately, I wish I would have read this months ago. It is spot on!

• August 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

If you are dealing (well negotiating) with someone with a personality disorder, no amount of logic or careful discussion will sway them from their bad behaviors. Personality disorders are difficult to understand by many people (including some clinicians).

And that’s the very reason that “many people don’t recognize they’re in an abusive relationship until it’s too late and it’s difficult to get out for emotional, economic or logistical reasons” as you say. The books I have read pretty much come to same conclusion as what is alluded to here. ‘Disengagement’ as much as possible is the only way to ‘out’.

If this person is a family member, this can be increasingly difficult. Personality disorders are difficult to treat for the willing, but for the majority they don’t – why should they want to when they get everything they want? I wish there were more answers.

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.