Comments on
Why Do Flashbacks Happen?

419475400_73559b2b7a_z

Trauma symptoms are really strange to most people, especially to someone having to deal with them.  Understanding why they’re happening is a good first step to fighting the stigma of PTSD.

7 thoughts on “Why Do Flashbacks Happen?

• November 4, 2013 at 6:18 pm

This makes so much sense, it’s crazy… It’s exactly what I’m working through right now: things are popping out and I’m realizing how it should be thought of (organized) in my head.

• November 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

I was in a jewelry store with the owner and his wife when we were robbed. It was so traumatizing that I could not function. With the help of EMDR I got through and am doing great. I would recommend it to anyone that has experienced PTSD. It was also paid for through crime Victems. Donna

• November 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I would be careful about recommending any particular form of therapy for PTSD (or any other psychological condition that is adaptive or considered pathological).

My therapist and I talked about this. One of her clients benefited so much with EMDR, she recommended it to another client. The second client had a terrible experience with it. My therapist said what works for one person may be retraumatizing for another.

I believe standard “fixes” and/or generalizations about cognitive coping processes or differences in perceptions are potentially dangerous. We are all individuals. There are many factors in play. PTSD associated with one event or one type of event my respond completely differently than PTSD linked with any number of individual sensitivities and coping strategies.

• November 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

This is a great article! It is what I am dealing with too! I had discovered these things on my own a couple months ago but was already in the middle of high anxiety mode so I was trying to “fix the leaky roof while it was pouring rain” already. Wound up in the hospital. Overload!

It is fantastic to see articles like this. Helps with the “routine maintenance” we should all be attending to for our own health and well-being.
    Fix the roof while the sun is shining if you can!

• November 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Fabulous article. I am tingling all over-it is so perfectly descriptive.I had 2 S/assaults as well as growing up in abusive home & am having so many memories come back over last 2 yrs. Right now very rapidly putting many smaller ones together with symptoms I have had. Orig dx as BPII NOW understanding it is cPTSD.I get so tired tho & feel so hopeless sometimes when everything piles up.I DO finally have gratitude tho to have a dx that I completely identify with. I just want treatment that WORKS..I do have ‘some’days of improvement,and find that a tease..I want desire & energy to live and function. I don’t give up – I take every class I can & Doc ..but want to feel ‘better’Thanks 4 your articles – they give me hope <3

• November 6, 2013 at 9:48 pm

My traumas were interwoven with every day life and every developmental stage. It took years to pick it all apart in therapy “categorizing”.

Therapy (ongoing) develops self-awareness. Categorizing unrelated elements separate from the trauma does not erase the damage from it. There are things I can’t do and avoid not because they are randomly or coincidentally associated with trauma, but because I have the sensation of having no skin as a result of my trauma.

I think trauma is a bell you can’t unring. A metaphor to help frame the flashback part is helpful. It’s not unringing the bell.

• December 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

“a traumatic event is too much to process, so it gets stored without proper processing, with all the unpleasant sensations that came with it.”

This is a great way to explain this. I will share this across the internet. Thank you for writing about this important subject.

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.