11 thoughts on “Can Someone Please Solve My Texting Addiction?

• January 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

Well, a recovering alcoholic usually does not go into bars. A recovering junkie doesn’t hang around dealers. Get a non-texting phone. If not, I hope the next time you text while driving you hit a tree, not another person.

• January 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

Now this is where I take issue. That last comment. Was that said out of love or fear? Why is it we try to motivate people through fear, when time and time again we have proven it does not work long term?
      How about – I have total confidence you will beat your addiction and there will BE no next time texting and driving?

• January 27, 2011 at 4:23 pm

You could try changing from a cell phone plan, to a prepaid option (and these days, the prepaid industry has some pretty nice cell phone options). With prepaid, you only have a certain amount of texts- after you use the allotted amount, it won’t let you send or receive texts. This way, you’re not completely cutting out text messaging (because at times, texting is more practical than talking) but rather cutting down. I don’t think it’s necessary to completely cut it out of your life, but it’s important to have balance! Good luck!

• January 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Hi Kathryn,

To successfully cut down on the amount of texting you do, you’ve got to find something to mentally focus on (rather than texting). What goals do you have for your future? And I’m talking about short-term and long-term goals. What motivates you in life? How can you make what you are passionate about to be part of your daily life? It’s a shift in thinking that I’m trying to get you to look at. Just like any addiction, if you focus on “not” doing it, you’ll never get free from it! So find out what you absolutely love to do, and find a way to build your life around that.

So instead of texting, your thoughts will be focused on your future and what you can do today to prepare yourself to fulfill your dreams in life. This is how I overcame a 10-year addiction. (And I’ve been completely clean since 1990!) So, yes, it is possible to get your texting problem under control. Hope this helps ya.

• January 31, 2011 at 12:46 pm

HI Kathy,

That is fantastic advice. I’m so happy when I am able to get my mind focused on what I want to do. I run a company and a nonprofit – so I sure do have enough to do! Thanks for the insight and congrats.

• January 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I think that addictions of all types tend to be a big problem for those of us with ADHD. I have never been addicted to drugs or alcohol or cigarettes, probably for the simple reason that I have never tried drugs or cigarettes, and I have never had more than one drink – if I had ever done these things, I would probably be an addict. However, I find I can get “addicted” to just about everything on the planet: video games, salty snacks, ice cream, novels, favorite TV shows… even stupid computer games like Tetris.

People with ADHD tend to have a general problem with impulsivity and self control, and I think that that’s what’s behind this issue. I have read various articles and research studies that link ADHD to drug addiction, video game addiction, gambling addiction, binge eating disorder, bulimia, etc. I also think that at least for me, a lot of it has to do with what you said about texting being a way to take you out of the present moment – all of these things provide a distraction from every day life, and I think that sometimes we crave that distraction. ADHDers tend to want stimulation and excitement, and when life gets too boring or too mundane, we want some way to escape from reality.

I know you don’t want to cut out your texting plan, but I really find that for me, the only way to eliminate the problem is sometimes to go cold turkey. I always say I’m going to learn moderation, but the fact is, it never happens. When I say that and I try to engage in the problem behavior in moderation, I just end up going back on my “binge”. I wish I knew a better answer, but I just haven’t found one. For me, and maybe also for you, it actually is kind of similar to what people experience with chemical addiction: having access to the temptation is kind of like an alcoholic walking into a bar and deciding they’re just going to have one beer.

I wish I knew the cure for this problem, but I haven’t found it yet. If you figure it out, let us know! Meanwhile, good luck!

• January 31, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Susan,
      What a fabulous response. So much truth in everything you said! I laugh with my mom that I go from one addiction to the next – because it is really hard to face it any other way.

I’m thankful that my addictions get less harmful to me and others – I see that as major progress. I agree about the cold turkey. It is as if our minds think faster than our ability to stop the behavior – you are really doing it before you even realize you are doing it. So unless you cut it out completely, the nature of the mind is to go go go go..

I stopped texting completely for three days, and loved it. But I started again yesterday, because there are times when you don’t need to pick up the phone. But again I am now hating my eye that wanders over to the phone.

I’ve learned for sure that the car is no option. My phone goes off while I am in it. I think putting it in the trunk is also a really good idea if that is what it takes. I appreciate you sharing that with readers.

Thanks for your comments and support! And best of luck to you as well!!

• January 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

And as for texting while driving, you could always resolve to stick your cell phone in the trunk whenever you got in the car. That would at least solve that problem.

• May 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm

go live in the bush for a week without a cell phone and see how that works for ya

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.