8 thoughts on “Please, Don’t Call Me Crazy!

• January 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I totally agree! Good article. Thank you!

• January 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I was once in a car with a man I was interested in. I have a pretty sever mental disorder, during the conversation he brought up the story of a presidential candidate who wasn’t elected and how the party tried to hide that his wife was “crazy” and that had alot to do with his not getting elected. The disorder was not named, or the symptoms, just lumped into “crazy”. Because of this I considered myself to fall into the same category and it hurt me terribly to hear this come out of the mouth of someone I thought I liked. People should be careful of using the word “crazy” as only a joke, not a way to define someone’s mental state or behavior.

• January 27, 2011 at 7:31 am

I agree! Thanks so much for sharing. It takes a lot of courage / self-esteem to recognize that you don’t need to be around those types of people, create boundaries around that, and surround yourself with those that will accept all for who they are. Thank you!

• January 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Kathryn,

In my case the comment is “you are aggravating”. After many months of therapy, I am now starting to accept my ADHD traits and I have gained some self esteem. So I replied “There are lots of women out there that may not aggravate you.” I added “I have my own self esteem problems and I really don’t need you making me feel like I am acting inappropriately.” Right there for the first time I felt much better.
    I would love to forward this to him but I am reluctant because I have worked hard to not react in my “crazy” ways and to let him know I am not “crazy” I have ADHD and that is just the way it is. 🙂

• January 27, 2011 at 7:25 am

Love this!!! So true – there are lots of women out there that may not aggravate you. That is really brilliant and true.

I also understand the strong desire to pass it along – I guess I continue to work to have faith that I don’t need to give everyone their ‘messages’. I work to keep myself cenetered and have faith that everyone gets the messages they need by forces other than me. Oddly enough that restraint seems to increase my self-esteem!

I know, much easier said than done! Thanks so much for sharing.

• January 27, 2011 at 2:34 am

Excellent post, and I totally agree! Language is so important.

• January 30, 2011 at 4:55 am

Calling me ‘crazy’ is a form of verbal abuse….. demeaning me while attempting to enhance you. I refuse to stand for it.

• February 6, 2011 at 10:48 am

Last summer, after a difficult and never-before experienced bought of anxiety and my first ever panic attack, I went through a depressive state that lasted a few months. I functioned fine, did all my regular things, but had a child with ADHD and decided maybe her beautiful apple did not fall far from my tree. Sure enough, I had the classic symptoms, most of them. Never knew it. Just thought I was “different” and yes, occassionally “crazy” and not as smart as everyone else (despite holding two degrees).

A friend started to send me links on behaviours of ADHD that she recognized in me. It was with loving intent, almost like telling me to relax and see myself.

A month later, when I started my second job, got really active in my two kid’s sports and extra-activities and was finally feeling better, this same friend hit a jealous streak,claiming I wasn’t making room in my life (two jobs, two kids, happy marriage, etc) for her.

She called me UNSTABBLE.

The only thing that could have done more damage to me would have been to say “bad mother.”

It hurt more than any action could have. It stung. And it lasted. It lasted all way until about two weeks ago, when I finally let it go. Not easy.

Unstable is how I have felt most of my life, though only inwardly. I had trusted someone with that personal detail. Now they had used it against me.

I am now proudly unstable and never, ever as cruel as that person who just magically no longer has a space in my unstable life. 🙂

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.