So the question it than raised for me is “Is ADHD a blessing or a curse for your sex life?” It is such a complicated issue, perhaps it is both a blessing AND a curse? I’m interested in hearing all of your thoughts after you read a bit more, and see how it applies to your own life.
On the one hand, ADHD can be great for sex. It can:
- Allow you to be hyper-focused on the act itself, potentially achieving orgasm without actual stimulation.
- Achieve multiple orgasms.
- Feel intensely pleasured by the act itself (possibly more so than others).
- Have an interesting sex life; in odd places and positions.
On the downside, ADHD can be a curse. It can:
- Increase chances of risky behavior (not using condom, having it in inappropriate places).
- Increase the chance of an affair.
- Inhibit your ability to achieve orgasm due to lack of focus.
- Inhibit your ability to enjoy foreplay due to lack of focus.
- Make the repetitive nature of one partner boring.
Sex is extremely healthy for the brain, yet we so often don’t talk about it. Especially in regards to mental health. A standard question when a person is asked about depressive symptoms is ‘Have you experienced a decrease in sexual interest’? So it is clearly a problem.
However, nobody tells you what to do about that loss of interest. How it could be good for you, even if you aren’t in the ‘mood.’ Never once has a psychologist I have seen prescribe sex / achieving orgasm as a way to help deal with depression.
So that is what I intend to do here with ADHD. Explore the positives and negatives, and bring it to top of mind so that we make the most of our experiences in the bedroom. Additionally, to be wary of our tendencies towards inappropriate behavior and give tips for reducing potential for that behavior.
Has anyone noticed that ADHD has affected their sex life positively / negatively? Is it a blessing or a curse for you?