Today I saw an article on MSN that I really wanted to share — it’s about eating for your brain. It is amazing how much food affects mood, and I thought it was interesting that the study explained you can be up to 200% more productive with the right food. It makes sense – food is the fuel for your brain.
So I’m going to give you the key foods / cliff notes so you can skip the article and get right to eating well. Seven important foods for keeping great focus and energy:
- Salmon – high in Omega 3’s
- Peppermint tea – the scent helps you focus
- Trail mix (with raisins and nuts) – raisins have potassium that help convert sugar to energy, nuts have magnesium that help metabolism, nerve function and muscle function.
- Ground flax seed – best source of ALA (improves the workings of the brain that processes sensory information)
- Coffee – the caffeine slows the aging process and enhances short term memory.
- Blueberries – the antioxidants protect the brain from free radical damage.
- Low fat yogurt – lysine and arginine found in yogurt help calm your nerves.
Check out the article if you want to understand anything in more detail, sources, and other tips. I think these are all fantastic suggestions. Eating is so very important. We don’t realize that with all the additives, preservatives, artificial flavoring and coloring we are introducing a multitude of toxins in our brain. Eating healthy is a critical component for a clear mind.
Anyone have any other food tips / recipes to keep the brain in great working condition?