6 thoughts on “ADHD: The Immigrant Experience

• April 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

Zoe,
    This insight is really profound! It totally resonates with me, and raises some interesting points I hadn’t considered before! Keep thinking and writing, and inspiring me to do the same!
    -Lauren

• April 26, 2012 at 7:42 am

Aw, thanks, Lauren!

I really appreciate that. For me, it was one of those moments when the idea hits you in its entirety, the details all coalescing in the centre. It was full of energy and life, which made It qute a task to unravel and get into writing. As much as I believe in the power of the written word (and I do!), and rarely consider or even see its limitations, with this one, I felt stymied by having to lay it all out, one thought after another. It seemed so plodding compared to the energy and visceral nature of the experience itself. I wish I could have just invited everyone directly into my head to feel what I was feeling, and see what I was seeing (but just for that moment; limited-time-only-access, ha ha!).

Maybe a stageplay would have presented it better? Hmmm….

Anyway, it sounds like you “got” it! I’m so glad, and I’m grateful that you took the time to write and tell me.

And back atcha… keep thinking and writing. And if you think of anything you’d like to write here, I’m always open to guest blogs with fresh perspectives (query me at my e-mail address, found on my website, http://www.chickadd.com)

Take care,
      Z.

• April 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I find these articles silly and really do not represent ADHD well at all. For example, I have always been talented at art and design, I know and understand color much better than most. I am very good at things like arranging furniture because these are things that are simply intuitive. I garden because it is exercise that actually has a purpose. I find running incredibly dull and yoga the biggest bore of all time. I have houseplants. They aren’t dead. At times I do find other peoples homes visually disorienting, it makes no difference if they have ADHD or not, it is just a matter of their taste and lifestyle. I am absurdly visual and I don’t believe it has much to with my ADHD as I know very similar folks who are the same way without the ADHD, it is just another facet to me. I have ADHD and I like Martha Stewart. I would never have a garden gnome in my bathroom. ADHD is probably not responsible for every single minute eccentricity you experience, people you consider “normal” are just as capable of having a paintball gun collection displayed in their apartment.
    I am also incredibly critical of the whole marrying a “normal” person vs another person with ADHD. This blog clings onto this us vs. them mentally that is incredibly immature and regressive. I say this as someone who was forced into segregated special ed. classes from an early age. I agree that there was a camaraderie in being with others with similar experiences but it was socially limiting. I really could care less if the person I married had ADHD or permanent hiccups.

• April 26, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Dear “T”:

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and share your opinion. I hear that my work does not represent your ADHD well at all; but frankly, by far the majority of the responses I get are overwhelmingly from people who resonate with my experiences. But hey, we’re all different.

There is much in your comment I need to respond to, but will do so tomorrow. I’m exhausted at the moment but wanted to thank you for your perspective.

I imagine you won’t be reading this or my further comments tomorrow, as you find my “articles silly,” and presume you won’t be wasting your time reading any in the future, but as many people come here to learn about ADHD, I absolutely will be sharing my thoughts and responses to your comment for their benefit, to provide balance to what you say here. But that will have to wait for tomorrow. It’s been a long day.

Z.

• April 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I don’t find all of your articles silly, some are quite good, but what I am saying is articles like the ones here, kind of silly. By your chick-ADD qualifications I would never have ADHD, but as a young adult, this condition, along with my learning disabilities, is preventing me from driving.

The experiences of people with ADHD are incredibly diverse. We aren’t all the same but for whatever reason we have similar limitations. That’s it. I feel like sometimes you make incorrect generalizations about people with ADHD based on your own experiences but those are your experiences, not mine.

• September 7, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Hi Zoe, I am new to ADHD but honestly feel that’s who I am. Unfortunately the more I spiral out of control the more I am refused help for a diagnosis. I have sought help for yrs well since 2001 after the birth of my first. I only seem to get the depression label. I’ve been bullied and discriminated against in my previous jobs and often end up isolated from the world. My children(3) are showing on the spectrum also and I now home educate them. I just wish I could at least be given different meds other than antidepressants. It’s also disheartening to be miss understood and I am desperate to calm down and focus. I try mindfulness but fail. Thanks so for for your posts. Take care and thanks again. Ann