11 thoughts on “Zoë’s Pet Peeves: Stifle Yourself!

• March 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Zoe, I agree fully and have often been caught singing, humming and bopping along the street (‘though never air guitar). Happiness is contagious for sure.
    I have always had lots of energy. I was “diagnosed” with having excess adrenalin and my doctor wanted to put me on beta blockers. If I’m prone to frequent bouts of joy and spontaneity – what’s wrong with that? You made a great point about children. There’s a book I love called, “Sophie’s World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy” by Jostein Gaarder and in it the author talks about a child’s sense of wonder – and how we lose that as we get older. Looks like you never lost that wonder Zoe, or have had to fight to keep it.
    P.S. Re:your pet peeve – Stifle yourself. My ex-husband would tell me to “mellow out” when I was just being happy.

• March 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Lori, your comment really made me smile! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and to share your experiences. I’ll have to get my hands on the book you mentioned (aren’t books wonderful?! Save the Books!). I can’t resist noting that in your P.S. you said, “ex” – husband. Hmmm…maybe one day we can all stop telling each other to mellow out, lighten up, settle down…whatever! Aaaaargh! Maybe one day we can just be who we are in the moment, how’s that sound? Thanks for smilin’, girl! Back atcha! Z.

• March 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Me and my daughter sometimes like to play tag or hide in seek in a store. Oh it really annoys everyone but we have great fun and it seems to bond us in moment of mutual innocence and happiness, where we can cast off the yoke of life and just play.

• March 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Kenneth, sounds like a scene from a great movie – I got such a lively, colorful visual in my head when I read this. lol! Kenneth, I’d love to be witness to it! Or better, to participate. I may just be hiding behind the frozen pea section next time you guys are shopping…so look out! Way to share the joy, my friend! Your daughter is a lucky little lady…take care, Z.

• March 28, 2010 at 8:04 am

Zoë, I have been stared at here in Sweden for simply smiing and singing to myself when I walk along the sidewalk. I ususally counter it by saying “hej! How are ya’!” (in swedish) and it really makes folks scramble away. But often, there are those who evidently enjoy the whole thing and grin while they sip their coffee or window shop. My son and I will sometimes vigorously play box while waiting for service (not involving anyone else) and since he is 15 and tall, and I am neither, it gets some strange looks. Well, life is short. No sense lving it so that everyone else will approve of every minute, I say. Just can”t see the point. Ride on!

• March 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Great to hear from you Kelly. I’ve visited Sweden, it’s a lovely country, and I felt like singing and smiling the whole time I was there! Glad you’re not stifling yourself! Thanks for reading my blog, and for sharing your thoughts. Keep smiling!

• March 28, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. I used to embarrass my friends (and myself) in high school cause I would stand on one of the tables in the quad and dance or sing randomly. I’ll still break out into random acts of dance. But I do find myself self-censoring, so that people don’t give me weird looks. How do you balance self expression and the need for approval? Get rid of needing approval, of course! I’m still working on that.

I saw an interview on Chelsea Lately with someone who is considered “eccentric” and he talked about how eccentricity is a good thing – it means following your own mind – and that it needs to stop being used as a pejorative term.

• March 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Ari, I couldn’t agree more about the “eccentricity” thing. When I lived in London (Ontario), I made it a goal to be the youngest eccentric in the city. Not sure if I made it, but it sure helped me feel more free to do as I pleased. I approve of getting rid of the need for approval! Thanks for writing!

• March 29, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I absolutely loved your anti-stifle story. It’s such fun to be exuberant in public, because it usually lightens other people’s spirits as well. And it’s subversive – letting people know that it’s o.k. for them, too, to express fun and lightness in an otherwise serious world. Could be catching!

• March 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Hear, hear! I couldn’t have said it better, Val. (and thanks for using one of my favorite words, “subversive.” Makes me feel both free and a bit naughty just reading it…a great way to start the day! Have a good one!), Z.

• March 26, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Thanks, Jennifer. Glad you enjoyed the post! Happy spring to you!