8 thoughts on “The Who, What, Where, Why and Huh? of ADHD, Part II: What The #$#%! Is ADHD?

• March 18, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thank you so much for describing the difference between girls and boys when it comes to ADHD. Everyone always knew my male cousin was ADHD because they associate it with bouncing off the walls. It was harder for people to understand that my dreamy reverie was part of the same disorder. And now I have a glimpse of what to expect in the upcoming decades… oh joy! :-p

• March 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm

You’re very welcome, Cara. Thanks for reading my blog & adding your experiences. One clarification, though, I’d say I described the difference between girls and ME & the boys! (Please read my post, H is for Hyperactivity for the bouncy details!). Seriously, though, I’m sure there are lots of women out there with the hyperactivity part, and I’ve met a few myself, but it does seem like we’re in the minority. And don’t worry – if you haven’t reached any of the other milestones I described for adulthood, trust me – you’re already way ahead of the game! You’re obviously aware, and keeping yourself current, so you’ll have a great shot at keeping away from some of the pitfalls that go with the territory.

• May 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Zöe, is it too forward to say, I love you?

• May 22, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Dear Teresa,
      Um, what can I say? Love is good. Love is always good. I hope you love your life, I wish you peace and happiness. Share your love whenever you can, especially with yourself. And thanks for being one of the ones who “gets it.”
      All the best,
      Zoë

• June 15, 2010 at 6:54 am

Zoe,

That’s the best definition of ADHD that I’ve every read! I must admit that I was particularly frightened by the accuracy of this statement: “in their 50s, they’re racing along the highway at 8 a.m., screaming Janis Joplin lyrics at the top of their lungs and fantasizing about being the drummer in the band.” I am 52 years old. I don’t even want to tell you what kinds of things I’ve been fantasizing about! Let’s just say I almost acted on it despite the…um…I better take the fifth amendment and shut my mouth. 😉

You may get a chuckle out of my attempt at imagining what DSM VII might look like. Essentially three contradictory definitions of ADHD are taken to be true. (See below)

1. AD/HD is a set of cognitive deficits in executive function…..
    2. AD/HD is a set of cognitive strengths that are highly correlated with success…..
    3. AD/HD is a set of normal behaviors that have been defined by authority figures as a “problem.” …..
    ( http://jeffsaddmind.com/the-imagining-2836.htm )

What is TRULY frightening about ADHD (especially since I just scooted over to one of your posts on Sex/Drugs/Rock-n-Roll and you described some of your favorites which are the SAME as mine: Janis Joplin; Green Day and I’ve recently added PINK to that mix…and I write this while listening and bopping to AC/DC) is the similarity of patterns across time and space. We think we are so damned unique and – BLAM! – we find that others have experienced some of the very same things. This isn’t really shocking news to me (it’s the basis of my blog) but…still…it’s always a bit of a surprise when the truth of it smacks you in the face.

Rock On!!

Jeff
    P.S. Don’t listen to Teresa. I love you more! 😉
    P.P.S. I didn’t know that I shouldn’t be playing air guitar anymore. The dogs never complain when I do it during their daily walk. 😉

• June 15, 2010 at 8:10 am

OMG! Jeff, we must be soul brothers…er…sisters…er…ADHDsters…or somethin’. I laughed out loud when I read your comment, thanks so much. I love making others laugh, but cherish it when others tickle my funny bone! Thanks! (I love Pink too, btw, the singer, not the color, although embarrassingly, after 51 years of shunning that color as too girly-girl for a kick-ass, hyperactive Chick-A-D-D, I’m embracing the colour…don’t tell anyone, ‘k?! It’ll be our little secret).

Thanks again for reading my blog and for writing.
      AND KEEP ON PLAYING AIR GUITAR!!! Now, if we can only find a kit player, we’d be set…the first ADHD All-star AIR band! (hmmm that sounds kinda nasty, doesn’t it?…never mind…) lol

• February 28, 2012 at 7:27 am

Zoe,
    Your faery dust definition made me laugh out. I actually think I was dusted, zapped with a gene contribution then knocked out silly by two concussions before age six to fix my brain with it’s very own version of ADHD and a few missing Executive Functions to make life fun.

My lack of interest in math I fully attribute to the head injuries.:> I have family who make their living at math. What else could explain such a break in the gene pool?

I think the ADHD definition needs a bit of character added to it.

Plus, I think you and the DSM-VII committee must consider the influence our personalities play on developing our worst aspects of ADHD to flower under stress. While in the good times, like a sleeping giant, all goes well.

I myself play the air PIANO. I find the dashboard of the car the best. OF course, when driving, the steering wheel does provide a slight obstacle to my ‘perfect’ hand movements. Needless to say, I play my best air piano as a passenger. Some find it comforting, others a bit distracting at 65mph for the passenger to appear to be womping on the dashboard. While I tap away on my air piano, the driver prays the airbag stays shut.
    Living with ADHD is such fun…I love the spontaneous side of it. I think it keeps me young.

Love your column.
    Marilyn

• February 28, 2012 at 8:21 am

Air piano! LOVE it!
      I’m dying to know what you play? Air Bach? Air jazz? Air piano psychedelic keyboard? We should start an “Air” Band!!! We can have the invisible man as our roadie!!

Marilyn, I loved your comment. Thanks for taking the time to send it, and for reading my blog. You brought a smile to my face, and I really need all the smiles I can get right now.
      Welcome aboard, ADHD sista! Hope to see you around ADHD from A to Zoë more often!

Take care,