15 thoughts on “10 Questions That Will Transform Your Life with ADHD

• May 20, 2014 at 5:52 pm

“Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless when facing them.”

• May 20, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hey, my old friend IN HOC (may I call you that?) Great to see you again and thanks for sharing this wisdom! Amen.

• May 22, 2014 at 7:28 am

I have a good friend who is probably the ultimate non-ADD personality — and is always seen as astute, and professional- and very attuned to the messages from others. I can “see” her reserve – and emulate it – when the occasion calls for restraint. [And do not envy this because at other times a bout of open enthusiasm – or the opposite- is what’s called for].

• May 22, 2014 at 11:29 am

Good for you! It sounds like you are flexible and have lots of tools in your toolbox!
      Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us.

Take care,
      Zoë

• May 26, 2014 at 11:57 am

My first question (not tenth) is: why do I want to emulate someone without ADHD? Although the other mental illnesses I suffer from are clearly disorders, the status of my considerable ADHD is less clear. Sure, I don’t fit in the modern, busy, urban, western world, but my ADHD serves me well in the garden, in a crisis, in relationships, and when I need extra focus in order to complete a creative task. These are all things the world needs – things that can be in short supply in parts of the world that are also experiencing increasing ADHD diagnoses. I want to be myself, ADHD and all. I am tired of apologizing for who I am. Yes, of course ADHD challenges me; I have developed all kinds of coping skills, and I am grateful for all the things I have learned to help me navigate the world in which I live. But my second question is: how much is this really my problem? My third question is: is it even a problem?

• May 26, 2014 at 12:23 pm

All great questions, Sally. So good, in fact, I will answer in a blog post. Stay tuned!

• June 29, 2014 at 5:02 am

Interesting questions, Sally.

I want to be myself too. I think it’s important. And I notice that *I* am not always the same: sometimes more attention deficit than others. It’s OK being this, and it’s OK being that.

But I kind of like myself more when I get to be more peaceful with myself. Asking questions like “Is this really important to me right now?” does help. Some of the questions here don’t work for me. They might work for others though. I think just taking what works for me is good enough.

• June 29, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hi Kumara.

Thanks for your comment; and yes, absolutely! Please do take what works for you and leave the rest. We’re all different.

I’m wishing you all the best on your journey.

Cheers,
        Zoë

• December 14, 2016 at 1:00 am

Hi Sally,

When I read this article it really resonated with me. I am an elementary school teacher and although my gifts of ADD sometimes serve me very well in the creative aspects of my job and my artistic hobbies, I frequently find myself regretting something I have said or done during the course of my workday.

Learning to use these questions as filters will, hopefully, help decrease the number of times I end up saying or doing things I immediately, or eventually, regret. As much as you might think that elementary school teachers would be knowledgeable about my struggles with ADD/ADHD, many seem to think that at 47-years-old, I would be miraculously “cured” or that experience would allow me to “supress” my symptoms. Unfortunately, at least for me, this is not the case.

I wish that my differences would be welcomed and appreciated for what I/they can offer, that simply is not my reality. Therefore, I believe that this list of questions will serve me well in my professional life.

• February 21, 2016 at 6:46 am

Zoe, wow so simple and so ADHD friendly. Thank you for your post and I love the fact that these are things that are so simply implemented with out having another list to lose and get distracted looking for it for half a day.LOL!

• February 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm

One look at this blog post, and I’m sure this will help me (if I practice it) and that I’ve met the person to guide me with this temperament. (I don’t want to call it a disorder.) I’ve subscribed to your blog. TQVM!

• January 7, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Late diagnosied. 50’s. All my adult life, I would ask myself, “what’s the value for me?” I.e. Argument just to be right! No value… give them a piece of my mind? No value. Etc

• January 10, 2017 at 2:19 am

I wish I’d seen this article years ago!! Like others have mentioned, ADD (all the deficit, none of the hyper! Lol!)CAN be a gift, but more often it’s a hindrance for me.

Like LB, I am a teacher. And here I sit at 1 am on a school night, when I should be sleeping, but instead I’m working on lesson plans for tomorrow because I spent all evening doing things that WEREN’T important (even though before I left school I had a plan for all I’d accomplish tonight) and still I meandered off track when I saw this article pinned on someone’s board. My hyperfocus during an argument certainly didn’t help my already-struggling marriage one bit. And my procrastination means I’m living in a perpetual state of anxiety, anger at myself for not having more self-control and self-motivation. I’m ever sleep deprived, because TONIGHT is the night I’ll finally stay up until I’m caught up, then I’ll stay caught up from here on out, so I can start going to bed at a decent hour. Riiiiight!!

Also like LB, I keep expecting TOMORROW to be the day I no longer allow my ADD to control me, and I will get a long list of things done like my incredibly productive friend who can easily accomplish in one morning what takes me a week or more to do.

Thank you for the questions! I’m going to type these up and print them out out to place strategically around my house and classroom!

• February 3, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Wow. All the questions that I purposely ignore because I want to feed the hyper focusing so badly. I tell myself that it’s comfy there even with the heavy bowling ball in my gut of guilt and anxiety. Very tough love. I like it. I need it. I’m 42, only recently discovered this is what’s been stunting my growth my entire life. My 9 year old was recently diagnosed, I began researching and..well you know how it goes. Now, I’m not sure how to approach it with my Dr. It’s severely ruining me though. Anyway, thank you for saying it out loud.

• December 31, 2019 at 3:54 am

Thank you… I am 63 and just diagnosed with ADHD. The medication has been miraculousl! Now am learning ways to control my behavior. You list will be in my toolbox. Again thank you.