7 thoughts on “ADHD and Delayed Gratification

• June 25, 2016 at 7:37 pm

How very true. I tick all those boxes. Plus risky sexual behaviour. Thanks for sharing.
    Nb: meditation is helpiny me more than I ever believed anything could.

• June 26, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for commenting, Phil! I’ve heard a lot of good things about meditation. Might have to explore it more seriously than I have so far.

• June 26, 2016 at 2:29 pm

I work with a lot of ADHD adults and kids and so appreciate your comment about accepting your brain as it is rather than trying to make it “normal.” And knowing how to use the strengths of your brain well–right work environment and pacing–and also knowing what training you need to add to help in situations that require more delays, slower pace, thoughtfulness, etc…meditation, neurofeedback, long-term action plan, eating less sugars and processed foods, especially food coloring, also help!

• June 26, 2016 at 8:33 pm

I think there’s an art to figuring out what aspects of your symptoms you can and can’t control with ADHD. Thanks for sharing!

• May 28, 2018 at 4:00 am

Thanks my son has ADHD and GCSEs next year. Your article has helped I am going to buy a yearly wall planner so he can see the goal and write all the fun stuff passing GCSEs will give him access to. I am struggling with the day to day though as he eats way too much sugar and is trying to clear up his acne. What other ways are there to make boring tasks less boring when studying other than eating ?! I think it’s the lack of social interaction that makes it difficult- maybe there are ways I can build more of that in? The main problem is him seeing it is a problem!

• May 31, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for your comment, Liz. It sounds like you’re doing a great job helping your son figure out ways of coping with ADHD. For me, my go-to strategy for making studying less boring has always been music. I think you’re onto something with your idea of making studying more social. Maybe some sort of study group with other students, or some kind of tutoring (even by other students) if that’s a possibility?

Another idea is to switch up where he’s studying by having a place like the library that he associates with studying. Having a separate environment can make it easier to transition into being productive, as opposed to staying at home where it’s so easy to get distracted. Best of luck!

• June 9, 2018 at 3:57 am

Thanks Neil. I can see those working for him. I will talk to him about the ideas and see if we can set something up.