8 thoughts on “The Cumulative Effects of ADHD

• June 7, 2016 at 8:43 am

Hi, really insightful explanation of the frustrating experience of life as someone with ADHD. It affects so many aspects of life and as the person ages it presents subsequent issues as the constant and unrelenting nature, creates more deeply embedded problems with self esteem, and depression. Ambition broken by a system which can only measure success in narrow ways, and simple lack of knowledge or ability to adapt. Yet a media driven wave of dismissal that it even exists.

• June 9, 2016 at 7:31 am

Yes, all the secondary problems ADHD creates make things that much more complicated. After a while, it can be hard to even tell what the original problem was! Thanks for commenting!

• June 7, 2016 at 10:34 am

Thank you for this very insightful article. It’s timely for me as I’m trying to explain why I do things the way I do to my new therapist. But first I have to explain them to myself and I get so tired of explaining, losing it, and explaining again and losing it again. So your article is very affirming for me. I think I’ll just give her a copy of this article as you explain it so well.

• June 9, 2016 at 7:37 am

Hi Susun! Thanks! ADHD can be really hard to explain. You might already be doing this, but I found writing stuff down before my appointments very helpful in therapy. Writing helps me organize my thoughts.

• June 10, 2016 at 2:09 am

Thank you! I’ll always shout that out when I see understanding and compassion for people with ADHD. I always feel like I’m drowning in my life, searching for a bit of dry land so I can rest before the next big tidal wave of consequences comes, and I try to explain it to a therapist or a vocational rehab counselor, and I am exhausted because they don’t understand. An ongoing problem that has a “range of difficulties which result in parts of your life being disrupted” is about the full extent of any understanding I can expect from a person who’s career it is to help people with ADHD. They really imagine they can fix you, or make you somewhat better by telling you to write things down and make “to do” lists, or arguing with you about how important it is to have a job so you can have better self esteem, and I wonder how they can think I don’t know how important those things are? Duh!

• June 10, 2016 at 5:47 am

Laura, thanks for reading and commenting! There’s something circular about some of the advice for people with ADHD that’s out there, especially with things like organizational strategies: having ADHD can make it hard to implement this advice in the first place. Knowing to do something isn’t the same as doing it, and the actually doing it part is where things really get dicey for people with ADHD!

• June 12, 2016 at 2:51 am

Thank you! It means so much to me to read an insightful article such as this & the comments by those who understand! It’s incredibly frustrating attempting to explain anything about life with ADHD to anyone. I get blank looks & comments about using my diagnosis as an excuse. Yes, I realize that I’m disorganized & always late & I hate it! I’m not being rude or lazy. I’m convinced that ADHD has affected every aspect of my life negatively & know that without it, I could have attained my goals & accomplished so much! I have all of the necessary equipment, but because some of the wires are crossed, they keep shorting out without warning, often causing irreparable damage. Try explaining that to someone!

• June 13, 2016 at 6:51 am

Addrift, that’s a great way of describing it. A big and frustrating part of ADHD is that we can’t consistently use our knowledge and abilities. But to other people, it looks like we don’t have that knowledge and those abilities in the first place, or maybe we do and we just don’t want to use them. Thanks for commenting!