12 thoughts on “When Dietary Habits Reveal ADHD Symptoms

• September 24, 2019 at 7:07 am

This is me to a tee!! Started in childhood, of course and now at 66 and recently diagnosed with ADD!!!!! it is all very clear. I feel, as well, that diet plays a huge part…being a vegan for 21 years but love indulging in salty and sugary treats more than I want, I see the aftermath in how I feel. A very interesting connection.

• September 24, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Congrats on the diagnosis, that is a big milestone for any ADHDer! And after the diagnosis, of course, come the little revelations about different habits that turn to be connected to ADHD. Thanks for commenting!

• September 24, 2019 at 7:51 am

The following happens a lot. I know that I shouldn’t buy the ice cream and the single slice of cake at store because it makes me unhealthy. However, the “pull” I get or craving for it is super strong. After my usual Monday meeting last night I can’t help but to drive into the local store and buy just that. It’s the same crave I used to get for other items I now get for sweets. What can I do?

• September 24, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Hmm, how much ice cream are we talking? Sometimes it’s about finding the balance that works, and a slice of cake with a serving of ice cream every Monday seems like a reasonable concession to make. You could decide to just enjoy that cake as part of your Monday routine, but in exchange for that concession making a healthy change somewhere else in your life!

• September 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Excellent article. You could have been writing about me. Thank You.

• September 24, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for reading. 🙂

• September 25, 2019 at 6:50 am

I’m the opposite (combined big on hyper). I forget to eat as I get distracted. Usually tho the results arepretty much the same….Grab whatever is quick to shove down my gob lol

Food allergies can also affect or mimic adhd symptoms. I have a fructose allergy, which apparently can cause like symptoms. I’ve pretty much cut out those foods however adhd remains lol

• September 26, 2019 at 12:45 am

One of the things I’ve learned from this blog, and which is always interesting, is that similar ADHD symptoms can lead to almost opposite behaviors in different people. Personally, eating is something I almost never forget — because if I don’t eat, it makes my inattentive symptoms that much worse!

There are quite a few things that can cause some “ADHD-like” symptoms, food allergies being one of them. Inadequate sleep being another. And so on. But for those of us who continue to have “ADHD-like” symptoms for basically all our lives in lots of different situations, the hope of finding an explanation other than ADHD starts to get slim. 😛

• September 26, 2019 at 1:40 pm

I only realised I was some 9 yrs ago. Nahhhh i thought, until firstly I sat down and listed incidents or behaviours I cld remember under each of the areas…. Twelve pages later…. I accepted all those personality quirks were something else. Then came the… Well if they are adhd, who the hell am I. Mind you none of my friends were surprised. Just me. I also stumbled on ODD and the suddenly a whole lot made sense lol

My symptoms don’t abate with change of diet, they just get worse if I eat what I shouldn’t due to hypoglycemia.

• September 27, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Yes, often people with ADHD are the last to know! Of course, even if other people see our symptoms, those people don’t necessarily realize the extent of how those symptoms impact our lives.

• October 10, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Coming across this article today, and the timing couldn’t be more perfect! I suspect my husband is ADHD and his eating habits are getting worse-now I think I have something to work with! Thank you!

• October 14, 2019 at 6:58 pm

I hope your husband is able to gain some new insight into his possible ADHD symptoms!